Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[solved by Hallvor] A little shy offtopic question about Pulsaudio

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Marie SWE

[solved by Hallvor] A little shy offtopic question about Pulsaudio

#1 Post by Marie SWE »

Hi all :mrgreen:

I know this is way offtopic and I know you aren't found of questions about other forks of Debian.. :oops: :oops: But I hope you can bear with me asking one question about the pulseaudio

Background.. My mother is 75years old and she don't know the difference between win7 and internet explorer, she thinks the webbrowser is windows.
Her laptop is old so win10 is not an option.. it is a Asus X53E OEMwin7.. and win7 is EOL since jan2020 as everyone knows, and therefore unsafe to have online.
So I have installed Mint20.2 just because it is a little more user friendly for her and it was little more "easy" for me to make it a look-alike to win7 then Debian is for me, as I am new on Debian my self and don't know all mods yet.. so that's why I took mint. :oops: sorry :oops:

So I wonder if you can bear with me, with one pulseaudio problem I can't solve on my own.

The sound works internally, but when I connect HDMI out to her television I can't see any option for HDMI audio in the GUI controller and hdmi audio doesn't work. (it worked on win7 so no hardware problem)
I just now noticed on this desktop with Debian buster that I don't see HDMI audio option either.. I only use hdmi on this one to my third screen, so I have never noticed that before now, when i tried to compere Pulseaudio settings... i don't mind my computer not working, I only use standard audio out on this one :D
But my mothers laptop..

Please can you help me solve her audio problem. :D :D :D :D
And what do you want me to print out for output data?
I have never troubleshooted audio problem on linux. :oops:
Last edited by Marie SWE on 2021-08-09 23:46, edited 2 times in total.
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

Marie SWE

Re: A little shy offtopic question about Pulsaudio

#3 Post by Marie SWE »

arochester wrote: 2021-08-09 20:22 Have you asked Linux Mint Forums? https://forums.linuxmint.com/
No i have not.. that was why i started my post with.... I know this is way offtopic and I know you aren't found of questions about other forks of Debian.. :oops: :oops: But I hope you can bear with me asking one question about the pulseaudio

And as I do have the exact same problem with this computer (Debian10 buster), it seems not to be a distrio question but a pulseadio specific problem.
Both computers have Intel audio and intel graphic
I have installed all updates Intel microcode and there is no updates or extra plugins for pulsaudio to find in Debian repos
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Hallvor »

It's not a problem with Pulseaudio, it's a feature. (I just use the audio jack.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjqcmZK5SnE
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

ticojohn

#5 Post by ticojohn »

Hallvor wrote: 2021-08-09 23:02 It's not a problem with Pulseaudio, it's a feature. (I just use the audio jack.)

Well put @Hallvor . I've using Pulseaudio and the HDMI output on my NUC for years. I don't remember having going through the process to select the HDMI output but I'm sure I did. Good luck @Marie SWE. That Youtube video is excellent and right on.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

The problem may be with the video player program. I have seen it in VLC. Under the audio tab there is a selection to make; sorry I can't remember which. I found Smplayer works better.

Marie SWE

#7 Post by Marie SWE »

Hallvor wrote: 2021-08-09 23:02 It's not a problem with Pulseaudio, it's a feature. (I just use the audio jack.)

:mrgreen: Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, :mrgreen:
and it was sooo easy solution.. the tab wasn't visible when I opened the mixer, without clicking more to the right. :oops:

:mrgreen: if I could I would give you a kiss.. so you get a virtual one instead :kiss: :wink:

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [solved by Hallvor] A little shy offtopic question about Pulsaudio

#8 Post by Hallvor »

Thank you, that's a first for me in a tech forum. :wink:

I'm glad I could help you out.
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Marie SWE

#9 Post by Marie SWE »

Hallvor wrote: 2021-08-10 10:05 Thank you, that's a first for me in a tech forum. :wink:

I'm glad I could help you out.
hahaha :mrgreen: it's always the first for everything in life :wink:

I am really glad too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: and it worked on both computers and I discovered that I needed to click the little green button to "set as fallback".. for the system to remember the output option and switch automatically between sources. :D
so no need for manual switching... I don't think my mother would be able to remember all the steps, even if I write it down on a post-it note. :roll: So I'm glad the auto switching worked.
It's really hard to make linux act as windows. :lol: *hahaha* :lol:

But it will be interesting to see if Linux can work as daily driver for someone who is completely technical untalented. 8)

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by Hallvor »

Indeed. :)
Marie SWE wrote: 2021-08-10 14:53 But it will be interesting to see if Linux can work as daily driver for someone who is completely technical untalented. 8)
My kids used Debian for years without a single issue (before they got "free"* Windows laptops at school). Using GNU/Linux with a stable base when everything is set up correctly shouldn't be a problem, I think.

* Paid from the equipment grant (no: utstyrsstipend/sv: utrustningsbidrag).

Marie SWE

#11 Post by Marie SWE »

Hallvor wrote: 2021-08-10 17:22 Indeed. :)
Marie SWE wrote: 2021-08-10 14:53 But it will be interesting to see if Linux can work as daily driver for someone who is completely technical untalented. 8)
My kids used Debian for years without a single issue (before they got "free"* Windows laptops at school). Using GNU/Linux with a stable base when everything is set up correctly shouldn't be a problem, I think.

* Paid from the equipment grant (no: utstyrsstipend/sv: utrustningsbidrag).
We have similar systems here too.. kids gets laptops thru school.. and also windows
But children have easier to learn new technology than old people.. as you say, if it is set up correctly it should work. within a week I will know.. if it don't work out, i have the original OEM disk is untouched.. so I can just make a fast switch and save the day. 8)

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by Hallvor »

Marie SWE wrote: 2021-08-10 18:55 if it don't work out, i have the original OEM disk is untouched.. so I can just make a fast switch and save the day. 8)
Whatever floats her boat, I'd say.