Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bullseye a lot better and less demanding than Buster

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

Bullseye a lot better and less demanding than Buster

#1 Post by bester69 »

Bullseye much better and less demanding than Buster :o

Ive tested today Plasma with Bullseye (https://sparkylinux.org/download/), and Im very delighted cos, last time, I had to uninstall buster due to my lowspec 2008 computer..

Plasma was eating some less ram and was running a lot smoother than with buster.. perhaps its cos was using wayland (im not sure about this, didnt stop myself to check it).. mpv and kodi19 were running great.. Now that I got a new laptop, I think I will use this 2008's old one as a kodi multimedia center..

A litle bit sad, cos I could have upgraded without having to buy a new laptop :?
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Bullseye a lot better and less demanding than Buster

#2 Post by CwF »

Agreed. I stretched Jessie's into stretch and was happy. Stretched a little more in Buster and it almost busted, needed to give it more. Now into bullseye, seems a bullseye. So I'll get 4 generations out of my installs. Unmerged, these bullseye's will be the last of the line. So I'll install fresh in 4-5 years....

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Moved to Offtopic as Sparky Linux is not Debian.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

sunrat wrote: 2021-08-21 01:35 Sparky Linux is not Debian
I didn't even notice that! Wow, I should read! I thought yep, bullseye is a hit!...It will be.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by cds60601 »

CwF wrote: 2021-08-21 02:28
sunrat wrote: 2021-08-21 01:35 Sparky Linux is not Debian
I didn't even notice that! Wow, I should read! I thought yep, bullseye is a hit!...It will be.
Indeed it will be. In fact, I'm seeing so many posts with folks having issues - I had to wonder why that is.
I installed on my Pi4 (bullseye) and surprisingly, No issues. Not even with sound. And that's something I struggled with before the release of Bullseye.
My testing -> Sid wasn't much better (always sound issues). But after today's install, I was pleasantly blown away.

So now I enjoy a system that is under 100.00 in the guest bedroom on a Roku tv and it's perfect! - Mind you, that system is running dwm and alsa (since it appears that is an issue with pulse and Pi4).
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

bester69

#6 Post by bester69 »

sunrat wrote: 2021-08-21 01:35 Moved to Offtopic as Sparky Linux is not Debian.
Sparky is debian stable porting plasma (not big deal) .. anyways is working everything wonderfull..I always use Sparky or Netrunner to fresh Plasma debian installation.. if I 'd try with debian i usually get into troubles by missing some packages or things like that.. or wifi dont usually work.. i dont know why is that, I guess debian is not doing something properly or missing something about installing procedure documentation cos me that considered myself an advanced linux user usually abort installation

Once completed Plama installation i usually drop sparky sources and packages and point them to debian repositories (not big deal) ; I always did liket that with success in a easy and fashion way.. dont you think so!
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Bulkley

#7 Post by Bulkley »

Once completed Plama installation i usually drop sparky sources and packages and point them to debian repositories (not big deal) ; I always did liket that with success in a easy and fashion way.. dont you think so!
I'm sure that what you are doing works, at least for your needs. When I try other polished distros I usually find a lot of baggage I don't want. What works best is to mount distros that interest me in a VM and try to figure out how they did it. Then I can use the method without the extra baggage.

bester69

#8 Post by bester69 »

Bulkley wrote: 2021-08-22 18:17
I'm sure that what you are doing works, at least for your needs. When I try other polished distros I usually find a lot of baggage I don't want. What works best is to mount distros that interest me in a VM and try to figure out how they did it. Then I can use the method without the extra baggage.
Yes . I got already into several breaks cos that baggage.. (dmo multimedia packages and sparky own packages).. Ive to use apt-pin and dist-upgrades.. and help me with aptitue and synaptic.. Its not an easy task for regular user...It took me a while but i already get it.. i discover it when i tried to install playonlinux and found out wasnt able to install some i386 packages.. fortunally I use btrfs snapshots so i always walk on secure steps as i can rollback anywhere in time

bester69

#9 Post by bester69 »

Finished Plasma Strecth migration to BullsEye from Sparky distro
everything apparentlly working well, even playonlinux :).. I had to do a lot of plumbing and dropping dmo and others non debian packages

I had to install Ubuntu's virtualbox (only version I found installed well)
virtualbox-6.1_6.1.26-145957_Ubuntu_eoan_amd64.deb

Had to install mps-youtube developer version due to a patch
https://github.com/mps-youtube/mps-youtube/issues/1052

Last step for me will be to migrate kmail and install all backup crontab scritps