Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

You don't need latest and greatest computer to run Debian

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
asifnaz

You don't need latest and greatest computer to run Debian

#1 Post by asifnaz »

Here is my ancient Dell Optilex GX260 Pentium 4 with only 1 GB ram running Debian 10 Mate happily
Attachments
debian.jpg
debian.jpg (296.89 KiB) Viewed 15664 times

Marie SWE

Re: You don't need latest and greatest computer to run Debian

#2 Post by Marie SWE »

Nice :)
That computer seems to need some TLC ;)
I tried Mint18.3 on a similar one, it took forever to even do the install... and boot with IDE hard drive.. it was painful :D
What is your boot time on that computer?
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#3 Post by 4D696B65 »

And you reused my couch from the 80's :shock: :D

vmclark

#4 Post by vmclark »

I could use a bath.

Nili

#5 Post by Nili »

It looks like it came from a battlefield.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#6 Post by arochester »

32 or 64 bit?

Could take all of 2Gb of Ram...

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Hallvor »

4D696B65 wrote: 2021-09-03 15:27 And you reused my couch from the 80's :shock: :D
Come on, be nice. This is an international forum, and we all come from countries with different fashions and standards of living. Not everyone has sofas costing 3.000 Euros, nor should they.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#8 Post by oswaldkelso »

Impressive. The wiki say the GX260 was built in 2002. I thought my desktop was old (Dell inspiron 530) at 2007. It's still running 24/7. Mate is not that much heavier than xfce but I'd use something lighter personally. The OP is right though about old computers still being useful and as newer hardware may start coming with spyware hard coded in I can see a rise in, or even a need to fire up our older PCs. Hang on to them I say at least until we get floss-hardware.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

bester69

#9 Post by bester69 »

:cry: :cry: Its like a dream made truth.. :|
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

asifnaz

#10 Post by asifnaz »

Marie SWE wrote: 2021-09-03 13:43 Nice :)
I tried Mint18.3 on a similar one, it took forever to even do the install... and boot with IDE hard drive.. it was painful :D
Boot time is a bit longer and computer is a bit slow .what can you expect from an old one :)

asifnaz

#11 Post by asifnaz »

Hallvor wrote: 2021-09-03 18:12
4D696B65 wrote: 2021-09-03 15:27 And you reused my couch from the 80's :shock: :D
Come on, be nice. This is an international forum, and we all come from countries with different fashions and standards of living. Not everyone has sofas costing 3.000 Euros, nor should they.
No problem he said in a light mode IMO . We call them Sofa in our part of the world . This sofa is old but classy :D . And I have computers in every corner of my home , needless to say all computers are under threat as my wife considers them junk :shock:

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by Hallvor »

We also say sofa in Norway. One of a few Norwegian words imported from Arabic.

One of my sons had an old computer that was purchased new and dirt cheap many years ago. Needless to say, it was very slow. I tested several desktop environments, and pretty much everything was crawling: XFCE, Mate, LXDE and LXQT, but LXDE having a small edge in the speed department.

The best compromise between speed and features was - by far - TDE. It was roughly as fast as LXDE, and had almost as many features as a full KDE Plasma installation.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Marie SWE

#13 Post by Marie SWE »

asifnaz wrote: 2021-09-04 08:11
Marie SWE wrote: 2021-09-03 13:43 Nice :)
Boot time is a bit longer and computer is a bit slow .what can you expect from an old one :)
:mrgreen: I remember my intel p4 almost identical to yours and I still have it.. when I tried to install mint on to create a how to network guide for beginners.. dummies style.... It was sooooo painfully slow in everything, so in the end I had to take a more modern computer to be able to finish the guide. :roll:
But it was fun to test so new software on such old hardware.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)

Marie SWE

#14 Post by Marie SWE »

Hallvor wrote: 2021-09-04 08:54 We also say sofa in Norway. One of a few Norwegian words imported from Arabic.

One of my sons had an old computer that was purchased new and dirt cheap many years ago. Needless to say, it was very slow. I tested several desktop environments, and pretty much everything was crawling: XFCE, Mate, LXDE and LXQT, but LXDE having a small edge in the speed department.

The best compromise between speed and features was - by far - TDE. It was roughly as fast as LXDE, and had almost as many features as a full KDE Plasma installation.
and we in sweden say Soffa it seems to be a universal word. :mrgreen:

Marie SWE

#15 Post by Marie SWE »

asifnaz wrote: 2021-09-04 08:17
Hallvor wrote: 2021-09-03 18:12
No problem he said in a light mode IMO . We call them Sofa in our part of the world . This sofa is old but classy :D . And I have computers in every corner of my home , needless to say all computers are under threat as my wife considers them junk :shock:
If your computers are threatened by her, then you have two choices. :thinking:
Get her interested in retro computers :mrgreen:
Or change wife :wink: (I'm just kidding) :lol:

ooglaboogla

#16 Post by ooglaboogla »

I'm not running Debian on anything quite that legacy, but the 3 PCs and 2 laptops I have running it are 5-10 years old. Runs great on all of them. All of them will run windows 10, but only 2 of them run it well. I don't really use windows anymore. Debian is so much better.