Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What is safer/better gparted or parclone dev-to-dev?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bester69

What is safer/better gparted or parclone dev-to-dev?

#1 Post by bester69 »

Hi,

I was wondering what is safer and what are differences between using clone dev-to-dev with gparted or partclone..

As for partclone..the sentence command in order to clonning a btrfs partition is as followed (very easy ):
sudo partclone.btrfs -b -N -s /dev/sourceDev -o /dev/targetDev

But, when using gparted copy/paste for non ntfs partitions.. the log stdout application tell us it uses own algorithm to commit it.. I suspect It does mores operations than just simple partclone command previows line...

What do you think :roll:..is it a good way to go, using gparted copy/paste partition?
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Bulkley

Re: What is safer/better gparted or parclone dev-to-dev?

#2 Post by Bulkley »

They are both good. Another important question may be, "How old is your copy?" Programs such as these can sit in your desk drawer for years and may not work well on newer hardware. When I bought a SSD my old version of Clonezilla couldn't recognize it. Partclone is the backup application in Clonezilla and in Redo Rescue.

bester69

#3 Post by bester69 »

Bulkley wrote: 2021-09-08 23:42 They are both good. Another important question may be, "How old is your copy?" Programs such as these can sit in your desk drawer for years and may not work well on newer hardware. When I bought a SSD my old version of Clonezilla couldn't recognize it. Partclone is the backup application in Clonezilla and in Redo Rescue.
Thanks mate, Im delighted with partclone use, didnt use it before but it works like a charm..I found out today Clonezilla uses partclone.. it supports btrfs which is great to me... fsarchiver and partclone my favourite backup tools :o
by the way, didnt know about Redo Rescue Livecd.. I guess, it must be an open Parted Magic distro fork try.
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

seeker5528

#4 Post by seeker5528 »

I think it is more preference than anything else. For me for partition stuff in general I have been using gparted a long time and I trust it, but if I am copying an entire drive I would rather just get the copy started quickly and if the destination drive is larger worry about adjusting the partitions later.

If I don't have a reason to think the source drive has a problem, I have been using pv the last couple of years.

If I want to copy sda to sdb it's a quick

Code: Select all

pv /dev/sda > /dev/sdb
and walk away. If time is a concern then I would do one of the other methods that don't require copying parts of the drive where no data is stored.