Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Views on ExpressVPN and latest news

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
ticojohn

Views on ExpressVPN and latest news

#1 Post by ticojohn »

Apparently the Chief Information Officer, Daniel Griecke, was involved in helping the UAE to spy on US citizens (hacking, data collection, etc), seemingly with the help of US developed software. And, ExpressVPN knew about those activities before they hired him. It has also been reported that the NSA was aware of his activities. Gricke was charged and fined but not because of his activities but because he didn't get an export license through the State Department. It would seem that the NSA was using the UAE to spy on US citizens because the NSA couldn't legally do so. :shock:

While all of that is scary as crap, I wonder if any of that is relevant to how well ExpressVPN works in protecting ones anonymity.

Looking for thoughts and opinions.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Bulkley

Re: Views on ExpressVPN and latest news

#2 Post by Bulkley »

That looks problematic. It's curious that ExpressVPN execs didn't see a problem with Griecke's record.

These guys pulled their account.

ticojohn

Re: Views on ExpressVPN and latest news

#3 Post by ticojohn »

Bulkley wrote: 2021-09-27 00:46 That looks problematic. It's curious that ExpressVPN execs didn't see a problem with Griecke's record.

These guys pulled their account.
It's more than curious, it's unconscionable. I suspect that ExpressVPN is going to see a tsunami of clients surfing to other services. I'm in the market. Just not sure which of the VPN services can be really trusted. So many of them have been bought by huge conglomerates and one doesn't know who might be pulling strings. I have found ExpressVPN to be functionally great, and their 24/7 online service is outstanding. But I have to have trust in the organization, and that's gone.

Thanks for the feedback @Bulkley
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.