Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What safety should I keep if I want to share my deafness on my blog ???

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
shirish

What safety should I keep if I want to share my deafness on my blog ???

#1 Post by shirish »

Hi all,

Everybody knows that when you go to a doctor to get your ears checked for deafness, they measure you, and then they put a graph of deafness with an audiogram -

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/ques ... -as-we-age

https://earsandhearinguk.com/ear/deafne ... -deafness/

Now what sort of precautions should one take when one is sharing or should not share at all. I am or have become 90% deaf in one ear and 80% in another ear last year.

The reason why I want to share at least the audiogram is so in future if somebody does come to know something.in the future it may help.

https://stanmed.stanford.edu/listening/ ... ation.html
Intel Dual-Core CPU E5400 (soc 775) @ 2.70GHz, onboard Intel G33, Asus MB P5KPL-AM IN (Intel G31), D-Link 2750u modem+router, 64-bit Debian Testing, Mate 1.26

Bulkley

Re: What safety should I keep if I want to share my deafness on my blog ???

#2 Post by Bulkley »

The biggest problem for me is my relatives who happily post everything to Facebook, etc. There's at least one of my in-laws who automatically hits the forward to all button on her email client. So, in spite of my firewall and other security precautions the Internet is very insecure. My recommendation is to be very careful who you share with on or off the Internet.

clementishutin

#3 Post by clementishutin »

Don't share your information with anyone.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

Information sharing is an interesting and convoluted subject. I've sat through some talks a decade back that revealed how poorly we've dealt with the borders of competing concerns.

On the one hand a sense of privacy misguides our paranoia when compounded by a general lack of tech awareness. It somehow scares people to think the smart meter knows when they make coffee, but they don't know that. The 57W of draw for 15 minutes could have been a morning dildo. In those talks one issue was a majority, that's MAJORITY, of info collected is assumptive, and wrong. When they get an accurate hit we freak, unaware of the hundreds of misses.

On the other hand the laws have little if any bite for violators. We have seen how this inaccuracy of 'they know everything' has morphed into steering the conversation, not listening to it. Who's going down for all the stories that changed behavior only to be admitted false years later. No one. If you steal my identity, the law protects you from me instead of finding culpable those that helped you.

In the middle are the researchers of all kinds that know individual info adds up to GOLD, knowing the name tag is irrelevant. Much info can be disconnected from the individual since it is the aggregate that is valuable. But our ways prevent the summation of data because it has our name on it, hindering medical research most of all.

But we register our code with ancestry two three and the like, use social media and carry a personal transponder we don't even know what it's doing. Overall most personal info violations are happenstance and opportunistic since human hacking is still the easiest. If you are actually a target, you're done.

I say Share.

Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by Trihexagonal »

When you live among wolves, never let the rest of the pack know you're sick or injured, or they'll be on you like the wolves the are.

You may think everyone is your friend and an online community you've been a part of for years is like family, but I'm a wolf and seen it happen many times..

Just make sure they haven't got a knife in their hand when they go to pat you on the back, don't give them one to use against you and don't show them where it would hurt the most if attacked.
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.