Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Youtube gets rid of dislikes

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
bedtime

Youtube gets rid of dislikes

#1 Post by bedtime »

As soon as Google bought Youtube, I knew it would just turn into a numbers and advertising game. When Youtube wasn't owned by Google they had all sorts of search options, such as many options for the length of the video. Now they have just a few very poor options, so you have to trudge through so many more videos to find the content you like.

At least at that time Youtube had the recommended videos at the side of the video you were watching. They were relevant to the last search. Now, they are relevant to all the searches you've done, so you get this hodge-podge of non-related videos, causing you to waste more time finding that needle in a haystack.

Then they started wanting people to pay OUTRAGEOUS prices for movies. We're talking nearly the price of a new dvd, and even more for high definition. Just before this time, I remember watching Stephen King movies—which were filled with ads. Yes, nearly a dozen or more per movie. It got to the point where there were more ads than on TV. Then the day after Google started selling movies on Youtube, all those Stephen King movies were gone, and what do you know, you could then buy them from Google.

Then Google took down the 1-5 stars, which was actually a really nice way to see if a video was good. Why? because you could easily see if people were just trying to bomb ratings by seeing all the 1s, which couldn't possibly be true ratings, so you'd be much more sure. But, Google had to then dumb it down to: good or bad. Imagine IMDB just gave a 'good' or 'bad' rating for a movie...

Now they've just taken the negative feedback off entirely. At first they said they just wanted to try it out and see if it stopped negative bashing and downvoting, but I'm thinking it was more to do with seeing if people were watching more videos, and, more importantly, more ads. After this proved to be true, they decided to keep the negative ratings disabled, and I'm a monkey's uncle if they bring it back. I really don't think they will. I'd bet on it.

Seems Google just wants you to watch ads, no matter if the video is good or not. It's nothing at all about quality. Remember not too long ago when Google mentioned the 'bad actors', and now we've no way to tell if the video sucks or not. What if the video is just a click bait ad? There's no telling.

Oh, and why even HAVE a negative rating button if it doesn't even make any difference anymore? :x

Well, that'll be gone soon too...

leonavis

Re: Youtube gets rid of dislikes

#2 Post by leonavis »

Google bad???? :O

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by canci »

I haven't been on the proper youtube.com website in over a year. The site is a mess. At the same time, it's the only de facto video streaming platform for non-pay-per-view mainstream content that isn't tech or gaming related, outside of maybe public broadcasters in certain countries. So when I have to watch a video at youtube, I do it via one of the many Invidious instances, e.g. https://yewtu.be . Granted, the site only runs the 720p versions at maximum, but I don't care about that. Instead, I don't get pestered to login, I don't get tracked (outside of Google knowing that my machine accessed the raw video file), plus the UI looks much cleaner and my browser isn't suddenly at 80% CPU usage. Ideally, I also just download the link with youtube-dl and watch it with mpv.

When I used to be over on youtube.com, I've noticed that the viewing culture is such that the service tries to lure you into binge watching videos of a certain topic. Since I only use Invidious, this experience is gone and there's less time suckage.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

bedtime

#4 Post by bedtime »

canci wrote: 2021-11-28 09:38... So when I have to watch a video at youtube, I do it via one of the many Invidious instances, e.g. https://yewtu.be . Granted, the site only runs the 720p versions at maximum, but I don't care about that. Instead, I don't get pestered to login, I don't get tracked (outside of Google knowing that my machine accessed the raw video file), plus the UI looks much cleaner and my browser isn't suddenly at 80% CPU usage. Ideally, I also just download the link with youtube-dl and watch it with mpv.
I just tried the yewtu.be site, and I can say that it loads much faster and is not so cluttered. I think I'll try to automate youtube-dl and mpv with copied youtube links. I'm a big fan of mpv already.
When I used to be over on youtube.com, I've noticed that the viewing culture is such that the service tries to lure you into binge watching videos of a certain topic. Since I only use Invidious, this experience is gone and there's less time suckage.
To be sure, quantity over quality. It's like searching through a trash bag to find a diamond.

Would be cool if they got minitube working properly.

clementishutin

#5 Post by clementishutin »

This is a way for youtube to promote content without letting the uploading feeling any negativity ( except the comments section) for them.

argentwolf

#6 Post by argentwolf »

If you innerstand why Alphabet and all their AI appendages exists (i.e., to surveil, collect, and manage), complaining about about their success, with your voluntary submission to their control, is the height of insanity...yes? :wink:
Vanguard Debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing, whimsically!
32-bit | 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465.76GiB SSD
64-bit | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931.51GiB SSD

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#7 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subliminal_stimuli

Watching advertisements damages human brain and changes (programs) its behaviour.

While adults can opt-out from watching advertisements, children can't, because they don't understand the threat.
IMO advertisements directed to children should be considered a crime and should be forbidden by law in any country which calls itself "civilized".
(DisneyChannel, CartoonNetwork, etc)

Google AI builds an information bubble around the users - what allows to manipulate their point of view, and what probably is more efficient than most of advertisements.
(Ofcourse Microshit is doing exactly the same with Bing)

Facepalm was selling user data to Cambridge Analytica what allowed to manipulate elections in the US - and that's probably only a tip of the iceberg.

ALL other corporations are doing exactly the same - spying, profiling and manipulating their customers.

That's the Internet today (90%)

I don't believe that we can count on organizations like EU or governments of individual countries - this madness can be stopped only if people will understand what is going on.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by canci »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2022-01-10 20:24 I don't believe that we can count on organizations like EU or governments of individual countries - this madness can be stopped only if people will understand what is going on.
EU isn't fighting against ads. They did the bear minimum against the automatic dissemination of personal data without a person's consent, but they don't care about when people consent to something they believe is a benevolent use of their private data and then ends up being exploited. Most people don't mind ads or tracking if it isn't very intrusive, and a lot of people I meet think that targeted algorithmic ads on Facebook or Instagram are actually quite handy.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

kedaha

#9 Post by kedaha »

Worse than all this is censorship. Voice an opinion contrary to the corporative globalist narrative and you'll be deplatformed. The Elephant in the room, the Emperor's New Clothes must go unseen ....
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

bester69

#10 Post by bester69 »

YOUTUBE IS SATANIC GLOBALIST CORPORATION , BELONGS TO 2030 PLAN

there is only Telegram, thats why germany and bigtech want to make them dissapear; just hope you didnt take any anticovi poison
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#11 Post by Fossy »

canci wrote: 2021-11-28 09:38 .... e.g. https://yewtu.be . .....
Many thanks for the link .... farewell Google
ASUS GL753VD / X550LD / K54HR / X751LAB ( x2 )
Bookworm12.5_Cinnamon / Calamares Single Boot installations
Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo / Thunderbird / LibreOffice / GIMP / eID Software

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

Elliefagel

#12 Post by Elliefagel »

i mean i never disliked any videos so i dont really care

Uptorn

#13 Post by Uptorn »

canci wrote: 2021-11-28 09:38 I haven't been on the proper youtube.com website in over a year. The site is a mess.
I haven't seen youtube directly since maybe 2017. First it was hooktube, and then invidious taking up the torch. When I do happen to catch a glimpse of vanilla youtube, like when a friend is sharing something I am appalled at what Goolag have done to youtube. How do people even stomach it? Boiling frog?

Dr Cheeto Cornchip

#14 Post by Dr Cheeto Cornchip »

I usually use the NewPipe Android app available on F-Droid to watch YouTube videos. Sometimes it gets blocked or Google made a breaking update to the YouTube site and you have to wait for an update for it to start working again. NewPipe parses the YouTube website rather than using Google's YouTube API.
LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2022-01-10 20:24 I don't believe that we can count on organizations like EU or governments of individual countries - this madness can be stopped only if people will understand what is going on.
I agree here, but may very well differ on exactly what I think is going on. Ultimately I think the root of the problem exists in the way people view one another. By and large I think people perceive other people as threats and treat them accordingly.

Corporations exist more like defensive structures that reflect the metaphorical "walls" people build in their minds to keep others out. We look at business executives and high powered investors as strong, powerful and even frightful individuals, but really, like the bully on the playground, the power they project is an act of concealment. Attempts to mask the frightened individual within.

They see others as enemies who desire to attack them. Physically by taking their resources, but, more importantly, psychologically by breaking them down and denying their right to exist as individuals. The corporations they've built are the walls they've erected to keep their enemies at bay. The buidings grow ever taller as they make their attempts to further distance themselves from those they believe wish to hurt them.

While there are certainly disturbingly devious things that have been done, the things that have been done were born out of fear rather than a general desire to see man suffer. Although that general desire does exist in many cases, it is not without cause.
"Grandpa Rick can you help me with my science homework?" -Summer Smith
"Yeah, just don't do it." -Rick Sanchez
https://www.inventati.org/1337gallery