Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Germany to ban Telegram?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
jmgibson1981

Re: Germany to ban Telegram?

#21 Post by jmgibson1981 »

If someone is opposed to vaccinations or a lockdown, that should be their democratic right as part of a free society
Just on this point here.

You are right it is their right. However most of the people on the internet with this view aren't just stating an opinion. At least here in the states threats are being made and in some cases carried out. Some lunatic said she would go to a school board meeting with a loaded gun if they imposed a mask mandate. That is not an opinion. That is a very real threat.

Parent's going to schools, fighting with staff and teachers. I'd dare argue their children are better behaved at least until they actually see what their folks are doing. Why this stuff is so polarizing I don't know but around here it can get you shot or knifed in the back. Even these days when businesses are within their rights to require people to wear masks and such I see someone getting thrown out of a store or other location regularly for violence against employees and such. They are not expressing an opinion. That is become a danger to society. Big difference.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Post by sunrat »

Please keep to the topic.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#23 Post by canci »

sunrat wrote: 2022-02-04 02:14 Please keep to the topic.
This will be difficult, given that Germany didn't care about any illegal activity on Telegram, and now that a new government is here, they're sort of doing the new broom thing: kill 3 birds with one stone -- do something about right-wing extremism and anti-vaxers as they promised on their platform (arguably great or not so great depending on where one stands), make a stand against Russian invented platforms due to all the fuss between the EU and Russia and fight against cryptography in messengers, framing them generally as undemocratic. So we'll return to one of these 3 broader political, and therefore very off-topic or contentious, topics. We might as well just stop here and close the thread.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

kedaha

#24 Post by kedaha »

I view this matter with concern because telegram-desktop is a Debian package although it's necessary to use the version backported from testing. It works very well and I, for one, prefer it to the wholly proprietary alternative. It wouldn't be so difficult to ban it just by removing the application from Android's Play Store and Iphone's App store.
Certainly if it were banned in Germany or elsewhere as it already has been in Iran, Pakistan and China, such a move would evidently not be based on court orders since "this has never happened".
pcalvert wrote: 2022-02-02 19:13 From Telegram's privacy policy:

If Telegram receives a court order that confirms you're a terror suspect, we may disclose your IP address and phone number to the relevant authorities. So far, this has never happened. When it does, we will include it in a semiannual transparency report published at: https://t.me/transparency.

Source:
https://telegram.org/privacy#8-3-law-en ... uthorities
If this application were banned then whatever next? Have all email surveilled by some central authority by means of backdoor binary blobs? The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Last edited by kedaha on 2022-02-04 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#25 Post by canci »

I don't think it will be banned. They'll probably arrive at some form of agreement. The EU is a huge market they can't ignore, and losing Germany neight start a domino effect
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#26 Post by oswaldkelso »

Absolutely no need to worry about anyone banning encrypted chat.

Why?

1. Because everyone needs it. I mean everyone. Banks, Business, Governments, and Citizens.

2. It's like speech, bit-torrent, audio, knives, sexuality or breathing air.

Worrying about telegram being told to hand over their data is no different to a court request to any other closed source corporation. How is Satanic google any different to Telegram (not satanic apparently?).

I speak freely, use torrents, knives, shag whilst breathing as often as required. Nothing to see here.

Use encrypted floss software if you need to chat in freedom, Left, middle or Right-wing nut jobs that may want to inject horse wormers as a covid "medication" are free to do so. No one is ever going to stop you because they can't If you use floss software.

Signal doesn't require a phone number... Think about it. It's apgl on desktop and server (client and server on unix) Any half decent programmer could remove that requirement (even though it's easy to bypass in the first place).

If you live in a democracy use free-software and stop getting your knickers in a twist about nothing. If you don't live in a democracy use free-software to enable change to a democracy.

Non-free software is called slaveware for a reason

typos:
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

jmgibson1981

#27 Post by jmgibson1981 »

Please keep to the topic.
I apologize. I thought the thread was about the reasons for banning of Telegram, not specifically the Debian package of it. I will read more carefully next time.

argentwolf

#28 Post by argentwolf »

The sad irony within this forum and specifically this thread is inescapable...we currently witness the whole world broken from the lack of free speech. A new earth awaits, we'll manifest an environment where thoughtful discourse (offensive or not) is allowed to settle how and where is may. SJW's simply destroy everything they touch!
Vanguard Debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing, whimsically!
32-bit | 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465.76GiB SSD
64-bit | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931.51GiB SSD

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#29 Post by canci »

argentwolf wrote: 2022-02-05 13:50 SJW's simply destroy everything they touch!
Funny. We SJWs thought the same about you conservatives back when you had the power to destroy us for being who we are. :)

READ THIS:

argentwolf

#30 Post by argentwolf »

canci wrote: 2022-02-05 13:55 Funny. We SJWs thought the same about you conservatives back when you had the power to destroy us for being who we are. :)
Funny? Not so much! Your political ideology is being absolutely shattered across the plane[t] as we speak, people do NOT want to be censored (e.g., topic of this thread) or forced to be part of a lab rat experiment, complete liberty will win, its opposition snuffed out like the weak coerced flame it is/was. Giant Tech and their State cohorts of collective management has run its deadly course, their gig of game is ended. PAIN INCOMING! 8)
drops mic
Vanguard Debian, because nothing's worse than doing nothing, whimsically!
32-bit | 2 Duo T5270 @ 1.40GHz x 2 CPU | 3.9GiB RAM | NV86 117MiB GPU | 465.76GiB SSD
64-bit | i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz x 8 CPU | 15.6GiB RAM | NVD9 1.9GiB GPU | 931.51GiB SSD

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#31 Post by oswaldkelso »

argentwolf wrote: 2022-02-05 14:16
canci wrote: 2022-02-05 13:55 Funny. We SJWs thought the same about you conservatives back when you had the power to destroy us for being who we are. :)
Funny? Not so much! Your political ideology is being absolutely shattered across the plane[t] as we speak, people do NOT want to be censored (e.g., topic of this thread) or forced to be part of a lab rat experiment, complete liberty will win, its opposition snuffed out like the weak coerced flame it is/was. Giant Tech and their State cohorts of collective management has run its deadly course, their gig of game is ended. PAIN INCOMING! 8)
drops mic
WTF are you on about? I honestly have no idea. Please when you use English, speak plain English. I'm a native English speaker and have no idea what you're on about. Goodness knows what someone with English as a second or third language can make of it.
"Your political ideology is being absolutely shattered across the plane[t] as we speak"
What ideology and where has it been shattered?
"as we speak, people do NOT want to be censored (e.g., topic of this thread) or forced to be part of a lab rat experiment, complete liberty will win"
This could and would be said by anyone on any side of the political divide. It's a nothing statement because it has no relevance. You need to give examples.
"Giant Tech and their State cohorts of collective management has run its deadly course, their gig of game is ended. "
If you don't like giant tech ( like me, the old anti capitalist don't use it ) That is what free software allows. It doesn't distinguish between the capitalist or the communist or any other political view.

As for "State cohorts" Name them. Are these American companies snuggling up to the Chinese like Apple or the other way around or something completely different.

Actually I'll make it easy for you. Free-software is by it's very nature does not pick sides.
"The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose (freedom 0)"
. But I can guarantee Giant Tech and their State cohorts do. So please don't moan about giant tech while using giant tech slaveware like telegraph.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian