Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Prepare for Russian cyber-attacks

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
manyroads

Prepare for Russian cyber-attacks

#1 Post by manyroads »

@Discord and @Trello are among Russia's preferred malicious attack vehicles. If you use these, take appropriate security actions to protect yourself/ your organization.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/09/ ... erattacks/
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau- Prof Genealogist - http://many-roads.com
Linux BLOG https://eirenicon.org
spectrwm,SwayWM,i3wm,hlwm,bspwm,dwm on sid
Linux User #449130

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Prepare for Russian cyber-attacks

#2 Post by canci »

Why anyone would use proprietary corporate services like these is beyond me.

And why do you @ things like we're in Twitter?
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#3 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

manyroads wrote: 2022-03-11 17:34 @Discord and @Trello are among Russia's preferred malicious attack vehicles. If you use these, take appropriate security actions to protect yourself/ your organization.

https://www.theregister.com/2022/03/09/ ... erattacks/
That's classic example of how naive people are manipulated by internet news.
Every single day some hackers are trying to attack some organizations and normal users - nothing new here.
The only reason for releasing this article is to bring Your attention to Mandiant - the authors are positioning this company in Your personal universe of thoughts ;)
Reason? -> Alphabet just acquired Mandiant.

Internet and mainstream media news are 90% bullshits, 9% intentional lies and 1% of unintentionally revealed truths.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

jmgibson1981

#4 Post by jmgibson1981 »

Why anyone would use proprietary corporate services like these is beyond me.
Because people that actually care about that topic are very few and far between. Convenience is all that matters. I oftentimes read about Jitsi and such. Trying suggesting that to some random person. You will get the most ridiculous wtf look on their face. Now you say Zoom or Skype and it's instant recognition. They just don't care about what is going on in the background.

Idk. Ignorance is bliss? I miss not knowing what I know about corporate interests and how much they mine from us. I don't much care but I do wish I never learned about it in the first place.

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by Fossy »

ASUS GL753VD / X550LD / K54HR / X751LAB ( x2 )
Bookworm12.5_Cinnamon / Calamares Single Boot installations
Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo / Thunderbird / LibreOffice / GIMP / eID Software

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by Trihexagonal »

I'm well liked in the Russian Federation and them the second largest visitor to my site.

But I volunteered to stay her as a human shield so Vlad won't nuke Yellowstone. Well, because I like you.
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by CwF »

I don't think any nation-state is to be feared, it's they who should fear.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#8 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Trihexagonal wrote: 2022-06-04 06:14 I'm well liked in the Russian Federation and them the second largest visitor to my site.

But I volunteered to stay her as a human shield so Vlad won't nuke Yellowstone. Well, because I like you.
Russian nuclear weaponry is most likely as underfunded and overestimated as the rest of their army (the oligarchy have defrauded all/most the funds) - it's quite probable their "Satan" rockets won't even launch, not to mention of hitting any targets.

Therefore, We don't need any "shielding" from russian trolls

However, I do believe that there's no such thing as a "bad nation" - in every nation there are sadists, idiots, criminals but also artists, wise and good people.
Last edited by 4D696B65 on 2022-06-04 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: profanity
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#9 Post by Trihexagonal »

LE_746F6D617A7A69 wrote: 2022-06-04 20:44
Trihexagonal wrote: 2022-06-04 06:14 I'm well liked in the Russian Federation and them the second largest visitor to my site.

Russian nuclear weaponry is most likely as underfunded and overestimated as the rest of their army (the oligarchy have defrauded all/most the funds) - it's quite probable their "Satan" rockets won't even launch, not to mention of hitting any targets.

Therefore, We don't need any "shielding" from russian trolls

However, I do believe that there's no such thing as a "bad nation" - in every nation there are sadists, idiots, criminals but also artists, wise and good people.
This from someone who doesn't know any more about Russian nuclear weaponry than what's "probable" when you don't substitute a drain snake for a Q-tip who when stating he knows what we need "most likely" refers to the mouse in his pocket.

However, before I put you on ignore, as this the second time you've defined yourself as one of the groups above, allow me to educate you as an act of self-sacrifice as I have more important things to do.

I was an avid collector of Soviet era Russian watches, had a collection of more than 80 consisting of wrist and pocket watches and had a site for them with information about them at Awardspace.

I dealt directly with people of different backgrounds in the Russian Federation and neighboring Countries varying from people who sold them on the streets of Moscow to someone I became friends with whose Father was a watchmaker of over 30 years that would clean my watches before being shipped as a personal favor to me.

I came to respect them and they came to know me as someone, well, unlike you, who is better ignored than indulged further, for the good of us all.

Can I get an amen!
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by sunrat »

This topic is hovering on becoming political and/or racist, neither of which are acceptable here. So far not quite crossing the line IMO but toeing uncomfortably close to it. Please consider where you are before posting anything further.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#11 Post by Fossy »

ASUS GL753VD / X550LD / K54HR / X751LAB ( x2 )
Bookworm12.5_Cinnamon / Calamares Single Boot installations
Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo / Thunderbird / LibreOffice / GIMP / eID Software

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by CwF »

Fossy wrote: 2022-06-05 11:13 What about : https://threatmap.checkpoint.com/ ?
Cool

It was said once with an improper and sad response;
"There are good people on both sides."
Of course there is.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#13 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Fossy wrote: 2022-06-05 11:13 What about : https://threatmap.checkpoint.com/ ?
Crap.
Same here:
viewtopic.php?p=750202#p750202
The Kapersky site is way more "cool", but all of such sites are worth completely nothing.

Those websites are just a form of advertisement - targeted at convincing the visitors to click buttons containing phrases like "Am I infected?", "Don't wait to be attacked" or other similar bullshits.

Now back to the topic:
The wave of ransomware attacks have caused that all companies and government institutions have significantly increased security level of their IT systems. In practice, cyberattacks in the "traditional" form became hard to impossible.
Therefore the cyber war has been moved to a different battle field - the social media platforms, where FUD is the main weapon.

An example of how FUD is used can be found in one of above posts, with the following message between the lines:
"If we don't make Business As Usual with the terrorists, they may become angry and use some weapon of mass destruction to punish us - so we should afraid and be thankful" :lol:

EDIT (2022.06.07)
I have wondered if I'll get some answer from that Russian troll, but it seems that He is a coward.

Anyway, what's "wrong" with this FUD?
1. 99% of Russian ballistic rockets are 40..50 years old -> most likely they are completely useless, and it's obvious that every modern air defence system can easily intercept them (destroy in the air).
2. Currently, Russia claims that they have about 40 *new* Satan2 rockets which are "nearly" ready for attack -> USA, UK and France have over 7000 of transcontinental nuclear missiles.

Russian nuclear forces have become useless over the decades - so all that the Russian trolls can do is to just spread the FUD.

What's "funny" (not really), there is an unique kind of non-Russian trolls - like those who don't care about people being killed in Ukraine - all that they care of is their own business.
/EDIT