Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trouble with trackpad on an Acer Aspire ES1-521 laptop

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
SteveM2020

Trouble with trackpad on an Acer Aspire ES1-521 laptop

#1 Post by SteveM2020 »

I have Peppermint11 (debian) installed on a six year old Acer Aspire ES1-521 laptop. The trackpad stopped working after the OS was installed. Google searches show that there are a lot of people with similar laptops experiencing the same issue.

The most common solution is to enter the BIOS and switch the trackpad setting from “advanced” to “basic”, but this isn’t working for my problem. Another suggestion I found suggested using the Synaptics driver. That didn’t help, either.

I’m hoping someone here will know of a fix.

SteveM2020

Re: Trouble with trackpad on an Acer Aspire ES1-521 laptop

#3 Post by SteveM2020 »

Thank you. I posted about this issue on that forum. The last message I received from one of the admins is:
Good to hear you are finally having success, but reading up on this machine, it is not Linux friendly from the comments and conclusions about the Aspire ES1-521.

A USB mouse sounds like a possible solution, then you will have to turn off the Touchpad via the Mouse & Touchpad section of the Settings Manager. To avoid it reacting to a casual brush of your palms.
I'm already using a mouse with the laptop.

I had Linux-lite 5.8 installed on the laptop before Peppermint was installed. The trackpad didn't work with it, either. I'm guessing this isn't just a Peppermint issue.