Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

DuckDuckGo caught giving Microsoft permission for trackers despite strong privacy reputation

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

DuckDuckGo caught giving Microsoft permission for trackers despite strong privacy reputation

#1 Post by Hallvor »

As reported by Bleeping Computer, security researcher Zach Edwards posted on Twitter that “while DuckDuckGo blocks Google and Facebook trackers, it allowed Microsoft trackers to continue running.” The company explains that “this issue is occurring on browsers and only pertains to non-DuckDuckGo websites.”

Tests showed that the browser allowed trackers related to Bing and LinkedIn domains while blocking all other trackers.
Cash is king.

https://9to5mac.com/2022/05/25/duckduck ... -tracking/
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Diesel330

Re: DuckDuckGo caught giving Microsoft permission for trackers despite strong privacy reputation

#2 Post by Diesel330 »

The only reason to suffer such bad search results was the supposed privacy, now DDG is going to the ditch, I never used it, didn't like the logo, too stupid

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: DuckDuckGo caught giving Microsoft permission for trackers despite strong privacy reputation

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

They had adverts on ****** billboards in the UK for a while. I wondered how they could afford that :mrgreen:
deadbang

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#4 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

I have switched to SearXNG. This + NoScript solves the problem.

BTW, it's funny that the article which informs about nasty DDG practices is hosted on a site which is itself littered with Google spying services :lol:
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed

Elliefagel

#5 Post by Elliefagel »

well im glad i havent used it now seen as they just completely lied

craigevil

#6 Post by craigevil »

I use neeva and searx.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

cynwulf

#7 Post by cynwulf »

As per this thread, they're also hosted on MS servers....

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=151582

http://techrights.org/2021/03/15/duckduckgo-in-2021/

It's a total lost cause.

I used it for the last 14 years, abandoned it recently and went back to google (!), until I can find another search engine which isn't a snake oil project devised by charlatans who use "privacy" as marketing slogan...

ticojohn

#8 Post by ticojohn »

I have used Startpage as an alternative to Google. Yes, Startpage uses Google, but it supposedly gives the user some freedom from the trackers and search history issues with Google. It's about as fast as Google and gives pretty much the same results, but without the Ads.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

ticojohn wrote: 2022-06-01 14:38 I have used Startpage
To save cynwulf the effort: viewtopic.php?p=753827#p753827

Disclaimer: I also use StartPage :mrgreen:
deadbang

manyroads

#10 Post by manyroads »

I still prefer Google... one of the ways I keep things a bit more secure is by using a bogus gmail login and run using VeePN . Nothings perfect.
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau- Prof Genealogist - http://many-roads.com
Linux BLOG https://eirenicon.org
spectrwm,i3wm,hlwm,bspwm,dwm
Linux User #449130

Diesel330

#11 Post by Diesel330 »

cynwulf wrote: 2022-06-01 14:06 I used it for the last 14 years, abandoned it recently and went back to google (!), until I can find another search engine which isn't a snake oil project devised by charlatans who use "privacy" as marketing slogan...
Why don't you use searx, what's the catch?

Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#12 Post by Trihexagonal »

Google, in their infinite grace, has forgiven me for trying to goad them, and Facebook, into entering their bots into a Turing Test against my bot Demonica, saying their bots babble BS and their Mothers wore army boots.

And for openly putting the move on Google Geek Girl Goddess Mary Lou Jepsen, telling her Mary Lou, there aren't any geeks like me at Google, but I'm the kind of geek you would like, and the making and posting of wallpapers with her image on them to show how enthralled I was with her.

And that thing i said about the Big Boss and the cat? Well, let's not even bring those bad memories to the surface...

In return, I was invited into the Google Product Expert Program. Told to go forth and help people, get noticed and show us what you've got.

Now there was a little instance last weekend where I went off like two hydrogen bombs about something they did, but I'm growing as a person and have forgiven them as well and we are Bestiea again.

They also showed me how much the cared and are my Second in an upcoming Truth and Consequences No Holds Barred Bonehead Beatdown and delivered my "I'll fight you all at once and leave you laying" challenge to make it Official and keep them sleepless, because they know the messed up bigtime.

I'm on my way....

Google is what I use and if you need help and like my answer, recommend it so I get some brownie points. Maybe even a Google T-shirt if it becomes a family affair.

If you think Duck Duck Go slipped up, you haven't seen someone make bad decisions like I have, But give it time... Rome didn't burn in a day. To the sky...

I'm on my way....
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#13 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

Trihexagonal wrote: 2022-06-04 06:08 In return, I was invited into the Google Product Expert Program.
Probably they haven't read this post:
viewtopic.php?p=754867#p754867

Google simply made a mistake - not the first one, and obviously not the last one.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#14 Post by oswaldkelso »

Re searching I always fluctuate.

searx on my freedombox

But my home page is https://searx.space/# because as we all know big brother needs big data. I want to give as small amount of data as I can. Therefore I randomly search a different searx/searxng instance.

The bottom line is search engines are no longer fit for purpose. How many times do you get a zero result for a search? Think about it. Billions of websites and the big engines cant find a 4 or 5 word sentence.... Even when I've written the post and forgotten what I said on a google blogstop site!.

Big data is used to sell you stuff..... not provide links to what you actually require. If you block them you get numerous nag ware stuff like "prove you are human" this is really you "prove who you are" sites.

We need to federate. Stop the commercial killing of the internet with our complicit enablement....... Or switch to a new protocol.... here's looking at you people..
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#15 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2022-06-05 01:24 The bottom line is search engines are no longer fit for purpose. How many times do you get a zero result for a search? Think about it. Billions of websites and the big engines cant find a 4 or 5 word sentence.... Even when I've written the post and forgotten what I said on a google blogstop site!.
Maybe the data centres are so overloaded, that the search time had to be limited - the engine throws out random results if the matching one can't be found in defined time.

Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#16 Post by Trihexagonal »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2022-06-05 01:24 Think about it. Billions of websites and the big engines cant find a 4 or 5 word sentence.... Even when I've written the post and forgotten what I said on a google blogstop site!.

Not to be argumentative, but I use Google to search for people who have plagiarized my Tutorial by block input of several sentences of text.

I do feel more and more like Google will play a big part in whatever dystopian version of the movie we get cast in.

I don't want a bit part, I got a bot part and have done everything i could the last 20 years working with bots to help that happen, but have not turned a blind eye to it and.watch what goes on with a search and my Android closely. A page not coming up like it did before I made mention of ft the kind of thing I notice.
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.