Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

lenovo laptop, freezing twice per week since 2 months

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
harrollld

lenovo laptop, freezing twice per week since 2 months

#1 Post by harrollld »

Hi guys,

I have a flex20405 laptop, running LMDE5, means debian.
started thread over there,
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 6&t=369950
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic. ... 7&t=374845
with no idea of cause/solution from the mint teams...
so Im going directly through the STABLE :D debian teams, whom lmde is directly builted on :

it's doing it since now yesterday, as it's going easily on his 24hrs of freezing, whom I dont want to loose few data or website adddressses (I browse in private), notes, whom are not saved yet.
it's now the fourth or fifth week (since april) Im experiencing at least one freeze per week. Im wondering if it's related to HDD or ram, using brave/iridium/firefox, however it did the same on a inspiron5030 laptop with the exact same conf (always doing while visitiing website, including a bit heavy ones, as newspaper eg).
My clues are focused for video software occasionnal usage (mean when I open a stream from browser of vlc just few minutes a day) or due to nvidia components (weird, inspiron doesnt have such, and frozen too few days ago)

I tried using Magic SysRq key, but looks disabled on "common lmde laptop running term"
so Im wondering now, on two paths :
*does any expert in linux have an idea of getting logs or clues during the freeze (while ABSOLUTELY no keyb or mouse are working, just "bios keys", as lenovo "brightness off" FN'keystroke works. The only one (electrical I guess, not from cpu), working, except all the rest (I plugged usb mouse then keyb, it's not powered on while laptop.. is powered on..) to ensure resolve the problem
*or to go to netbsd to see if another kind of OSS OS could be working well without crashing with lot of tabs from browser
(I was thinking linuxes where going to slow down, or kill culprit process, here nothing slows down, nothing is killed, just machine totally frozen and absolutely nothing can be done -except warm up rooms for hours)

thank you for reading, helping and supporting me, believe me I never asked for a such problematic situation :o

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: lenovo laptop, freezing twice per week since 2 months

#2 Post by arochester »

No, LMDE is not Debian, They have their own Forum. Derived FROM Debian, but no longer Debian.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewforum. ... c5fdccd3e4

Diesel330

#3 Post by Diesel330 »

I remember Mint freezing from time to time, it's a feature of the distribution

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Hallvor »

Only Debian is Debian. Try it.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Head_on_a_Stick

#5 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Sounds like bad RAM to me. And a bad distribution ofc :mrgreen:
deadbang

johnbr8

#6 Post by johnbr8 »

I am running Debian Bullseye and since the last few weeks have been experiencing occasional freezes which have required a power restart. Prior to the last few weeks my Debian Stable OS has been extremely stable.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

johnbr8 wrote: 2022-06-18 20:28 I am running Debian Bullseye and since the last few weeks have been experiencing occasional freezes which have required a power restart. Prior to the last few weeks my Debian Stable OS has been extremely stable.
Please don't post new problems in other peoples' topics. OP is using Mint and has been moved to Offtopic so yours is not even relevant. Start a new topic.
Occasional freezes that just start occurring are usually a hardware issue.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Trihexagonal
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#8 Post by Trihexagonal »

harrollld wrote: 2022-06-17 10:52 My clues are focused for video software occasionnal usage (mean when I open a stream from browser of vlc just few minutes a day) or due to nvidia components (weird, inspiron doesnt have such, and frozen too few days ago.
I would make sure I was running Nvidia drivers and not nouveau drivers, which may have been installed by default.

And having the wrong drivers on two machines isn't outside the realm of possibilities.
When Darkness takes everything embrace what Darkness brings.