Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Containers - LXD are you using it?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
Northpoint

Containers - LXD are you using it?

#1 Post by Northpoint »

I would like to ask what the general consensus is on using containers. I have been looking at LXD and talking with some other people about using it to run some software for my business. Presently I have two VB VMs that run and provide some services on my server. I see LXD is available for debian and just wanted to poll the forums here and get some opinions on using it. So far everyone I have talked to seem to really like containers such as LXD.
Get your linux on.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: Containers - LXD are you using it?

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

machinectl(1) ftw. I also like podman.
deadbang

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

Northpoint wrote: 2022-06-29 11:38 I see LXD is available for debian
Where? Or do you mean LXC?
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=768073
Northpoint wrote: 2022-06-29 11:38 Presently I have two VB VMs
Why not KVM?

I guess use case is paramount to choice. I use VM's to reach back, and also forward. Containers are really a subset of current, so don't fit my use. The qemu,kvm instances are more easily accessed off machine, self contained and more portable. GPU acceleration seems more clumsy and limited in containers. LXC coexist with qemu/kvm... VB in my use (any case) would be the last choice.

Northpoint

#4 Post by Northpoint »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2022-06-29 12:03 machinectl(1) ftw. I also like podman.
Interesting. Thankyou. I will look into that.
Get your linux on.

Northpoint

#5 Post by Northpoint »

CwF wrote: 2022-06-29 14:38
Northpoint wrote: 2022-06-29 11:38 I see LXD is available for debian
Where? Or do you mean LXC?
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=768073
Northpoint wrote: 2022-06-29 11:38 Presently I have two VB VMs
Why not KVM?

I guess use case is paramount to choice. I use VM's to reach back, and also forward. Containers are really a subset of current, so don't fit my use. The qemu,kvm instances are more easily accessed off machine, self contained and more portable. GPU acceleration seems more clumsy and limited in containers. LXC coexist with qemu/kvm... VB in my use (any case) would be the last choice.
Well, I have looked at KVM at one time. I am sure its good but I started out with VB so its kinda a thing right now. Oh, Yes - LXD / LXC I am not too familiar with it right now. I have just started looking into it. It does seem interesting but I think behind anything there is always a 'gotcha' and was wondering about that before I got too involved with it.

If you do not mind me asking, Why the hate on VB? Your not a lone on that point from what I read on other forums and such. Would like to know your reasons.

Thanks.
Get your linux on.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Northpoint wrote: 2022-06-29 16:17Why the hate on VB?
It's slow and requires blobs for full performance. The developers have a history of ignoring and even covering up CVE bugs. Support for the stable release was considered so bad that it was removed from the official Debian repositories.

Reference: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=794466
deadbang

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by CwF »

Northpoint wrote: 2022-06-29 16:17 If you do not mind me asking, Why the hate on VB?
...for me VB is simply not better. No hate, just why?

LE_746F6D617A7A69

#8 Post by LE_746F6D617A7A69 »

CwF wrote: 2022-06-30 00:59
Northpoint wrote: 2022-06-29 16:17 If you do not mind me asking, Why the hate on VB?
...for me VB is simply not better. No hate, just why?
KVM is simply faster, virtualized systems can still use OpenGL acceleration, including Vulkan extensions -> this means that vulkan can be used inside a VM *and* that it can be used to implement GPU-based computations, what allows to implement multi-GPU computational systems.
Bill Gates: "(...) In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and I fished out listings of their operating system."
The_full_story and Nothing_have_changed