Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problem of sign-in to Google Account

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
nfkhanh

Problem of sign-in to Google Account

#1 Post by nfkhanh »

Hi all.
After installing and uninstalling some apps on my debian 11, I cannot sign in to google account on firefox and online accounts. It's the same after I unistall and reinstall firefox. I try to install google chrome to sign in but it's not effect. I try to sign in with another google account and surprising, it's ok.
How can I resolve this problem. Please skow me.
Thanks all.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Problem of sign-in to Google Account

#2 Post by sunrat »

Google problems are not really related to Debian so moving this to Offtopic.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

fch

#3 Post by fch »

delete your google account.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

What did you install and uninstall?

arzgi

#5 Post by arzgi »

fch wrote: 2022-07-15 07:45 delete your google account.
+1 !!

I tried to login yesterday, but it just kept saying unknown computer.... So deleted.

debian-2019

#6 Post by debian-2019 »

You should setup your 2FA on your google account, because that is how it will let you access your account when using a new OS for the first time.

Bulkley

#7 Post by Bulkley »

+2

Segfault

#8 Post by Segfault »

arzgi wrote: 2022-07-15 14:28
+1 !!

I tried to login yesterday, but it just kept saying unknown computer.... So deleted.
I'm working on it. I have put my gmail address into too many places, now I have to reconfigure all of them. Does Google make you wait? Microsoft put me on hold for 90 days before my account got deleted. Actually Google scared the crap out of me, I even wrote a critical piece about my friends who do not care about their privacy. Don't tell it anybody, my secret rant. Will stay active for 3 days.

fch

#9 Post by fch »

Make your own server with postfix for e-mail service. Servers distros like freedombox, yunohost and ecc make it much easier.

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#10 Post by Fossy »

Segfault wrote: 2022-09-22 18:12 .........Image

Conclusion. Average Joe of 21st century is a pussy who cannot decide, cannot act, is not capable to be in control of his life. And even if he realizes something is not good for him like supervised communications via Google (or Microsoft, Yahoo, Apple) he still is incapable to step up and do something about it. This is the ultimate decadence of a human being. Joe is ready for the Great Reset. He has left no free will, no dignity.
I'm working on it. I have put my gmail address into too many places, now I have to reconfigure all of them. Does Google make you wait? Microsoft put me on hold for 90 days before my account got deleted. Actually Google scared the crap out of me, I even wrote a critical piece about my friends who do not care about their privacy. Don't tell it anybody, my secret rant. ... or 3 days.

[/quote]
Delete your Google account :
+3
ASUS GL753VD / X550LD / K54HR / X751LAB ( x2 )
Bookworm12.5_Cinnamon / Calamares Single Boot installations
Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo / Thunderbird / LibreOffice / GIMP / eID Software

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

Diesel330

#11 Post by Diesel330 »

If I delete my Google account do my data get deleted or they keeping them regardless?

Segfault

#12 Post by Segfault »

They will keep it. They keep everything, it used to be 8 years for deleted emails, but it was years ago. Since then their storage capacity has become practically unlimited, so you better assume they keep everything indefinitely now. May be useful for some future authoritarian government to determine your social credit score.

Diesel330

#13 Post by Diesel330 »

So deleting the account means just losing access to your data and nothing else, this is what I assume and that's why I don't delete them

Segfault

#14 Post by Segfault »

Yes. I'm still contemplating account deletion. I do not use any of their services but gmail, and I stopped using it a few months ago. I forwarded my email to my new protonmail account. Protonmail IMAP solution works in Linux, but only with Thunderbird. I tried Claws Mail, got it working, but sometimes it just gets stuck and I have to reload the bridge.

Diesel330

#15 Post by Diesel330 »

Same here, I gave up gmail for protonmail, I still use youtube, google translate and google search some times. I feel bad though for using their services

Segfault

#16 Post by Segfault »

Translate works without logging in, Youtube you can watch but not comment. Google search also does not require account with them. More trouble is maintaining your Android apps without Google login, but it is entirely possible (I never entered my credentials into my phone). I do use Google search myself sometimes, but only for technical matters. Economics or politics, hell no. Even Merriam-Webster has lost its academic status and is spreading globalism and deception now. I had to get myself old pre-woke dictionaries from eBay.

pwzhangzz

#17 Post by pwzhangzz »

Once you deleted your firefox and re-installed it, I think Google will send you a txt msg to verify that you're what you said you are before you are allowed to log into your existing Google account. I believe this is part of the two-step verification procedure that Google just implemented.

A Google account essentially allows a Debian to act like a super set of a Chromebook. For obvious reasons, over half of (public) high schools in the US have switched from Windows/MacOS to Chromebook. Familiarity with Google accounts can provide a smooth transition for high school students to try Debian desktops. From our experience, students love offline LibreOffice over Google apps. (Once students got bondaged by MS Office, don't even think about switching them from Windows to Linux desktops.)

Segfault

#18 Post by Segfault »

I just read somewhere MS Office has a "free" version which you can use when you stay logged into your MS account. Free my foot, if they are waiving the fee then it means they are getting something else, something what they value more. I believe by now everybody knows there is a bunch of elites trying to gain total control over people. Free software and free IT services in exchange for surrendering basic privacy and agreeing to live your life under surveillance.

pwzhangzz

#19 Post by pwzhangzz »

Segfault wrote: 2022-09-23 18:17 I just read somewhere MS Office has a "free" version
You will still need Windows to run MS Office (only for students and teachers, and most students are too lazy to register for an account, not to mention learning MS Office*). At least half of US public high school students don't have and do not use Windows.

(Off topic) If anyone is serious about interesting some school students to use LibreOffice on a Debian persistent LiveUSB for their school works, make sure that you change the default file save options to those of MS Office. Schools are not equipped to handle odf file formats. We learned a very embarrassing lesson in a hard way.

FWIW I agree with previous posters that Google Accounts are evil. But at least for the near future it is a tool to introduce Linux desktops to the uneducated.

* For some reason, from our experience, most students have no problem playing with LibreOffice (MS Office is just overwhelmingly intimidating). Students especially love the integration b/t Writer and Draw, sorta unleashing their creativity. Some students even taught us a few LibreOffice tricks that we never realized existed (and I have been a proficient use of LiberOffice or its predecessors since the StarOffice/StatSuite days. )

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Post by sunrat »

You can download all of your Google data and store it offline. It's called Takeout. I did it a while ago before deleting several Gmail accounts.
I subsequently found out much later one of the deleted accounts was the one I used to sign up with Discord so now I don't have any recovery possibility if that goes tits-up. Haven't needed to yet though.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!