Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Even Linus thinks Debian is hard to install

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
perlhacker14

#61 Post by perlhacker14 »

DeanLinkous wrote:
perlhacker14 wrote: It seems that RMS would have more pressing concerns then listening to stuff... maybe updating that hyper political website of his and writing his next speech? Or working on some new software for GNU?

Just curious, is Hurd even usable with Debian?
I dont think RMS is nearly as one track as you seem to think he is...

Are you aware that he is fond of folk dancing?

I don't think he codes much at all anymore.
I am quite aware of his oddities; On his webpage he had some wack story about nasal sex with plants at a restaurant...
And he began a lecture with a folk dance once.

Yes... I read on /. that the once great leaders and coders are falling to checking code and approving features now, rather than working on code.
Arven bids you a good day...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

DeanLinkous

#62 Post by DeanLinkous »

I bet he doesnt even use a phone since the network is run with non-free software. I bet he doesn't flush a toilet because the waste management system uses non-free software. I bet he would never use a hospital since a lot of the devices have non-free code.

He should just use GNU (hurd) on everything....and do without everything else.

:lol:
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Chapter 6

#63 Post by Chapter 6 »

DeanLinkous wrote:I bet he doesnt even use a phone since the network is run with non-free software. I bet he doesn't flush a toilet because the waste management system uses non-free software. I bet he would never use a hospital since a lot of the devices have non-free code.
The man is eccentric. Not insane. To paraphrase a line from the movie Forest Gump: That boy is different.

Here's a quote from Richard Stallman's personal page:

"Those who profess to favor freedom, yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters. This struggle may be a moral one; or it may be a physical one; or it may be both moral and physical; but it must be a struggle. Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will."

-- Frederick Douglass, American Abolitionist, Letter to an associate, 1849
"Now the body of one soul I adore wants to die
You have always told me you'd not live past 25
I say stay long enough to repay all who cause strife."

-- Alice in Chains, Sludge Factory

DeanLinkous

#64 Post by DeanLinkous »

Love the quote....
I dont even think he is eccentric.

I was just ranting away because I fear that one person here cannot manage to figure out that free software isn't a absolute 'everything free right now' but at the same time it is not 'only when convenient' either.

I find it funny that a company (that is trying to get your money) can say "this is the right way" and people believe them. Whereas if RMS says "this is the right way" he is dismissed as a nut. :?
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!

Chapter 6

#65 Post by Chapter 6 »

DeanLinkous wrote:Love the quote....

I was just ranting away because I fear that one person here cannot manage to figure out that free software isn't a absolute 'everything free right now' but at the same time it is not 'only when convenient' either.

I find it funny that a company (that is trying to get your money) can say "this is the right way" and people believe them. Whereas if RMS says "this is the right way" he is dismissed as a nut. :?
I think it's because we live in a commercialized society where we are conditioned to expect to be cheated. Everyone cheats us -- our governments, our churches, business, and even sometimes friends and family. We've been conditioned to expect nothing for nothing. We've learned that what is ours must be protected, for there is always someone wanting to take what we have away. So it seems rather odd when you find people that just want to give things away. It's a culture shock when you see people that give of themselves without asking for much of anything in return.

I think the idea of sharing is really quite foreign to most people. Particularly in western civilization. We've all been more or less assimilated into a society where greed is good, and only guilty or crazy people give; everyone else takes.

Right or wrong, it took generations to get to this stage. It will take generations still for mankind to evolve beyond the current status quo.

Bro.Tiag

#66 Post by Bro.Tiag »

DeanLinkous wrote:I was just ranting away because I fear that one person here cannot manage to figure out that free software isn't a absolute 'everything free right now' but at the same time it is not 'only when convenient' either.
Aye, ya caught me Dean. Bit you already knew I did not install the GNU operating system because I believe in the FSF's idea of "free"software. I did so to challenge militant FSF advocates.

Chapter 6

#67 Post by Chapter 6 »

Bro.Tiag wrote: Aye, ya caught me Dean. Bit you already knew I did not install the GNU operating system because I believe in the FSF's idea of "free"software. I did so to challenge militant FSF advocates.
That makes absolutely no sense. How are you challenging FSF advocates by using their software? That's like saying you had an abortion not because you had an unwanted pregnancy, but because you wanted to challenge the militant pro-choice advocates. It's just dumb.

It's like saying you use Vista not because you like the idea of commercial software, but because you want to challenge Microsoft.

It's like saying that you voted for Bush not because you're a Republican, but because you wanted to challenge Republican ideology.

It's like saying you drank the water not because you were thirsty, but because you wanted to challenge the water department.

It's like saying you...

Well, it's like saying that you're an idiot. :lol:

Bro.Tiag

#68 Post by Bro.Tiag »

Chapter 6 wrote:
Bro.Tiag wrote: Aye, ya caught me Dean. Bit you already knew I did not install the GNU operating system because I believe in the FSF's idea of "free"software. I did so to challenge militant FSF advocates.
That makes absolutely no sense.
Ya Think? :mrgreen:

llivv

#69 Post by llivv »

'
Last edited by llivv on 2019-02-16 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

swirling_vortex

#70 Post by swirling_vortex »

Hurd...I don't even know where it's going anymore. How many people are working on the project?

I'm sure it's better than MiniX, which failed to detect my IDE hard drive. :)

Noven

#71 Post by Noven »

Chapter 6 wrote:
DeanLinkous wrote:Love the quote....

I think it's because we live in a commercialized society where we are conditioned to expect to be cheated. Everyone cheats us -- our governments, our churches, business, and even sometimes friends and family. We've been conditioned to expect nothing for nothing. We've learned that what is ours must be protected, for there is always someone wanting to take what we have away. So it seems rather odd when you find people that just want to give things away. It's a culture shock when you see people that give of themselves without asking for much of anything in return.

I think the idea of sharing is really quite foreign to most people. Particularly in western civilization. We've all been more or less assimilated into a society where greed is good, and only guilty or crazy people give; everyone else takes.

Right or wrong, it took generations to get to this stage. It will take generations still for mankind to evolve beyond the current status quo.
I disagree, kids are STILL taught how to share their toys and stuff in kindergarden. However, we LEARN to be stingy bastards over time. So we suck as people, but learned the right way...just strayed off the path :D

BioTube

#72 Post by BioTube »

swirling_vortex wrote:Hurd...I don't even know where it's going anymore. How many people are working on the project?
You mean it wasn't abandoned? Haven't they been working on it for over a decade without results? Wine's been under development for a little less time and, though they haven't hit 1.0 yet, are far along in the beta department. Hurd's on what? Version 0.2 at best?

Personally, I think that two Unix clones is enough. We don't need a third stealing developers from the more mature(read: actually usable) ones.
Ludwig von Mises wrote:The elite should be supreme by virtue of persuasion, not by the assistance of firing squads.

Vergil

#73 Post by Vergil »

perlhacker14 wrote:
Just curious, is Hurd even usable with Debian?
I think there is a thread around here somewhere about Debian GNU/Hurd. It depends on your def of the world usable.

swirling_vortex

#74 Post by swirling_vortex »

perlhacker14

#75 Post by perlhacker14 »

swirling_vortex wrote:http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/
Then, it is not very usable; less then half the repos have been ported, and it is quite unstable from reading that...

My Laptop: Toshiba Satellite A25-S3072; 3.06 GHz Pentium 4; 473 MiB RAM; Debian Testing/Unstable/Experimental / Slackware 12; Whatever WM/DE I feel like at the moment

llivv

#76 Post by llivv »

'

DebPad

#77 Post by DebPad »

Torvalds is a kernel developer. As long as a system provides the usual PC tools that everyone likes, is easy to use, and has solid developer tools, I think he'll be fine with it. He uses Emacs, but I doubt he gets bashed in the Vi community.

Chapter 6

#78 Post by Chapter 6 »

DebPad wrote:Torvalds is a kernel developer. As long as a system provides the usual PC tools that everyone likes, is easy to use, and has solid developer tools, I think he'll be fine with it. He uses Emacs, but I doubt he gets bashed in the Vi community.
I hear he's heterosexual too. No word yet on whether the gay community is bashing him.

His reason for being heterosexual? He says it was just the right fit for him. :lol:

perlhacker14

#79 Post by perlhacker14 »

llivv wrote:
perlhacker14 wrote:
swirling_vortex wrote:http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/
Then, it is not very usable; less then half the repos have been ported, and it is quite unstable from reading that...
My bet is on:
All the best kernel hackers have their hands FULL coding one kernel, to all the wacky hardware there is available today.
Probably true... Might explain why GNU and Hurd are getting no where.
Last time I checked, were they not dropping really older hardware support in the kernel any way... seeing as no one is using it any more (m64k)?

llivv

#80 Post by llivv »

'