Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to change the color of the folders

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Waldo Jeffers

How to change the color of the folders

#1 Post by Waldo Jeffers »

we want to change the folder colors
system settings/ themes/ icons doesn't provide the appearance we are looking for.
Can only find info for Ubuntu and its Folder Color.
We are on Debian GNU/Linux 11 Cinnamon with Thunar file man.
Waldo Jeffers has reached his limits.

GPWR

Re: How to change the color of the folders

#2 Post by GPWR »

Maybe this tutorial will help you out?

Or did you want to change the global folder colour, rather than the colour of individual folders?

Perhaps you will find more info regarding Cinnamon Desktop on the Linux Mint forums and wiki than on the Debian side, but your question is still more than welcome. ;)

Good luck.

P.S. You seem to be thinking that your issue is OS-related...
Waldo Jeffers wrote: 2022-01-16 23:26 Can only find info for Ubuntu and its Folder Color.
We are on Debian GNU/Linux 11 Cinnamon with Thunar file man.
Cinnamon is very similar on pretty much all distros, to the exception of a few minor details. If you found an article of someone who did that on Ubuntu and also has Cinnamon, the odds are the procedure will be the same on your system, especially given the fact that Ubuntu is Debian-based (this may not always apply, however.)

Waldo Jeffers

#3 Post by Waldo Jeffers »

Hmm yeah well it is all a bit confusing for me, what will or won't work in Debian. I understood UB stuff doesn't run on Debian. And things could go horrible wrong.

Code: Select all

apt install folder-color-nemo
We use Thunar, not the default Nemo which comes with Cinnamon. I guess that won't work? :?

GPWR

#4 Post by GPWR »

Oh, I see. Excuse me; I didn't notice you were using Thunar.

In that case, I guess you could try this out. It's a Cinnamon extension that changes the colour of all folders, whatever the icon theme is. It's supposed to work on Debian.

I cannot test it out at the moment, because my computer is not available. If you do try it out, tell me how it goes. ;)

Peace be on you.

Waldo Jeffers

#5 Post by Waldo Jeffers »

GPWR i guess there is something there. But what an overkill. And i don't like to install any icons that could have whatever bad code in it. Doesn't feel safe.
I am looking for a simple change of folder colors in 1 other color. One would expect that to find just within the system...

GPWR

#6 Post by GPWR »

Waldo Jeffers wrote: 2022-01-20 19:36 GPWR i guess there is something there. But what an overkill. And i don't like to install any icons that could have whatever bad code in it. Doesn't feel safe.
I am looking for a simple change of folder colors in 1 other color. One would expect that to find just within the system...
I hear you. Here's something you can do instead, and will work in most distros and within most desktop interfaces:

Find an icon theme online with the colour and appearance that you like (since I'm assuming you didn't find one on your system, as you mentioned in your first post.) Icon themes don't contain code; just directories, images and, sometimes, indices. If they do contain code, just don't download them. Once you have one that you like, extract it to "/usr/share/icons" on your system. A simple reboot or even a sign-in-sign-out will make the icon theme appear in your Cinnamon appearance settings, which I'm assuming you know how to get to given your first post.

For more details, see this article.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and God bless you.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by canci »

Another option would be to contribute the code to upstream Thunar yourself, pay a bounty to the developers or voice your wish in the Wishlist over on Xfce's wiki.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

GPWR

#8 Post by GPWR »

canci wrote: 2022-01-20 20:28 Another option would be to contribute the code to upstream Thunar yourself, pay a bounty to the developers or voice your wish in the Wishlist over on Xfce's wiki.
I believe this regards the theming more that Thunar's features, unless I misinterpretated the fact that Waldo Jeffers actually wants to change individual folder colours, rather than the actual icon theme within Thunar. However, given that he's been looking in the theming preferences, I don't believe this is the case.

Additionally, I believe I saw that this feature has already been requested for Thunar.

Cheers.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by canci »

I don't think it's theming. It should be done in code.

Thunar has emblems though, but I guess this isn't quite the same.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Waldo Jeffers

#10 Post by Waldo Jeffers »

Hi there, i dont understand the misunderstanding. I only want to change the standard grey green color of the folder icon into yellow. Is that so difficult to do?

GPWR

#11 Post by GPWR »

Waldo Jeffers wrote: 2022-01-23 19:06 Hi there, i dont understand the misunderstanding. I only want to change the standard grey green color of the folder icon into yellow. Is that so difficult to do?
I described how to do what you want in Post #6. It just consists of putting a theme that you like in the Debian themes folder and restarting your machine. I've seen it work with Thunar for other people, as it does for pretty much any popular file manager and/or desktop environment that makes use of theming, such as Cinnamon.

Hope it helps.

Waldo Jeffers

#12 Post by Waldo Jeffers »

thnx GPWR. :)
I've noticed that Nemo is still installed, next to Thunar. I am trying to get my head around it.