Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian text selection with ctrl + shift + cursor keys.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
frezario

Debian text selection with ctrl + shift + cursor keys.

#1 Post by frezario »

Hello everyone. I'm very used to 'Windows'-based text selection using Ctrl + Shift + Cursor Keys (to select text 'word by word').
The problem is that on Windows I also used Ctrl + Shift keys to switch keyboard layouts, and text selection was working just fine.
But in Linux I noticed that if I choose Ctrl + Shift as a shortcut to change the language, I can no longer use text selection with these buttons, that is I can't use text selection and switching over layouts simultaneously. I've searched for solutions on many forums, and all such "solutions" come down to replacing the shortcut to change the language with something like Ctrl + Win, but I'm not a clown to put up with this crutch.
I am sure that Linux with all it's power is wise enough to handle these problem, but I can't come up with a solution on my own. Dear Debian community, could you help me, please?

NorthEast

Re: Debian text selection with ctrl + shift + cursor keys.

#2 Post by NorthEast »

frezario wrote:
I am sure that Linux with all it's power is wise enough to handle these problem, but I can't come up with a solution on my own.
Your "sureness" is well founded. You don't mention which distribution of linux you are referring to, but there are likely to be keyboard settings or keyboard shortcut options to choose from if you are using one of the more popular desktops. If that's the case you can suit yourself as to which keys you'd like to use for which functions within the limitations of the environment which is the platform.