Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Second pointer by custom scale in XFCE

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
inf3rno

Second pointer by custom scale in XFCE

#1 Post by inf3rno »

When I go to settings scale custom scale 0.9 a second mouse pointer shows up on the screen which does not want to disappear. It disappears only when I set the scale to 1.0, but the letters are too small for me with 1.0. It would be nice to have some sort of cleartype too, because with custom scale they don't look sharp enough.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Second pointer by custom scale in XFCE

#2 Post by canci »

I'm afraid Xfce might not be doing well when it comes to fractional scaling and all that. The best results might be with Gnome and Wayland, but KDE might also be good.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by CwF »

inf3rno wrote: 2022-06-29 15:07 scale custom scale 0.9
Change the DPI instead, try 120~144.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

canci wrote: 2022-06-29 15:39 I'm afraid Xfce might not be doing well when it comes to fractional scaling and all that. The best results might be with Gnome and Wayland, but KDE might also be good.
KDE has the best custom fractional scaling - steps of 6.25%. I just tried an Xfce installation I also have last night, rapidly facepalmed and booted back to KDE. :mrgreen:
Good scaling is essential on UHD monitors.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

sunrat wrote: 2022-06-29 23:23 . I just tried an Xfce installation
I'm not familiar to how the default install is set up, but I suspect it's the problem. Maybe default needs some work.
I have a UWQHD still boxed and waiting to check out, but still never change scale on XFCE. It seems themes are problematic and may still have 'px' absolute units instead of 'em' or 'rem' units which scale to font size. Using a corrected theme, larger font, and simple dpi adjustment should be all that's needed.

XFCE Settings>Window Manager>Style should have -hdpi and -xhdpi settings for window elements.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

CwF wrote: 2022-06-30 00:06
sunrat wrote: 2022-06-29 23:23 . I just tried an Xfce installation
XFCE Settings>Window Manager>Style should have -hdpi and -xhdpi settings for window elements.
I did use MX Linux Xfce for some time and it was OK with -xhdpi style and font DPI tweaks. Still pale compared to KDE Plasma. :mrgreen:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by canci »

To be fair, if you don't use anything beyond 1080p in screens, Xfce is totally amazing, and if I still used proper desktops, I'd be using Xfce over Gnome or KDE any time, because it gives you just the basics and is running on a potato. :D
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources