Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New to Debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
gord

New to Debian

#1 Post by gord »

Had (and still have) computers running on Ubuntu and Mint. In the distant past I had a laptop given to me that had Debian 7 installed with programs as well, and so I never had any experience with command lines. It seems to be a must in this distro, and I do have a friend who helps but I'm aware that I need to get educated. I have done the simple stuff from the limited repository on Debian 11.3, but I would like to add the following items:

1) Video Downloader
2) a VPN
3) Tor

I'm a minimalist and so I could be happy with what I have now plus these items, but I would also like to add an older version of Libre Office (the current one is IMHO a bloated mess; I do have Abi, but I preferred my old 2012 Libre Distro) and I would also like to add Gimp 2.8, although I can live with the one I have which is current.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New to Debian

#2 Post by Hallvor »

Google is your friend. If you still can't make it, ask.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

gord

#3 Post by gord »

Thanks for the links. :)

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Hallvor »

Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

Hallvor wrote: 2022-08-13 21:15 Google is your friend.
Google is not really your friend, but a capitalist leech that spies on you and harvests your private data for the purpose of profit. They do provide decent indexing of the internet in return though. :mrgreen:
I use Startpage instead. Same searching, possibly less spying.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by Hallvor »

Sorry, comrade. Please forgive my decadent petty bourgeois capitalist attitudes. I will go to Gulag. ;)

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by canci »

Gulag, Google, potatoes, patatos. :D
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

manyroads

#8 Post by manyroads »

canci wrote: 2022-08-14 16:43 Gulag, Google, potatoes, patatos. :D
I appreciate the humor but... my grandmother did not have much good to say about the Gulag where she spent 1946-1947 as a guest of Josef Stalin... 90% of the German women who were her compatriots died (via starvation, rape, etc.).

For any who might be interested in this type of topic... https://www.many-roads.com/?s=frieda+senger
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau- Prof Genealogist - http://many-roads.com
Linux BLOG https://eirenicon.org
spectrwm,SwayWM,i3wm,hlwm,bspwm,dwm on sid
Linux User #449130

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Another link for the OP:

https://wiki.debian.org/

But the search function is rubbish so use site:wiki.debian.org in a normal search engine instead.
deadbang

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by canci »

manyroads wrote: 2022-08-14 16:48
canci wrote: 2022-08-14 16:43 Gulag, Google, potatoes, patatos. :D
I appreciate the humor but... my grandmother did not have much good to say about the Gulag where she spent 1946-1947 as a guest of Josef Stalin... 90% of the German women who were her compatriots died (via starvation, rape, etc.).

For any who might be interested in this type of topic... https://www.many-roads.com/?s=frieda+senger
Sorry if this came off as insensitive. The point of my joke was to actually be ironic of the careless comparison between gulags and Google, because the evils of Google obviously don't compare to the atrocities that happened to gulag victims. I didn't have any intention to equate the two, but I realise that it was in bad taste.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

manyroads

#11 Post by manyroads »

canci wrote: 2022-08-15 09:40 Sorry if this came off as insensitive. The point of my joke was to actually be ironic of the careless comparison between gulags and Google, because the evils of Google obviously don't compare to the atrocities that happened to gulag victims. I didn't have any intention to equate the two, but I realise that it was in bad taste.
No worries. By way of clarification, I'm a genealogist & historian and such things jump out at me. I recognize that humor is often an outgrowth of painful experiences (personal and/or societal). It is all but impossible to say 'almost anything' without striking a never 'somewhere'. This just happens to be a topic that I often take as a clue that there might be folks who are interested in learning more about WW2 and its aftermath. I'll climb down off my soapbox now... :? :shock:
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau- Prof Genealogist - http://many-roads.com
Linux BLOG https://eirenicon.org
spectrwm,SwayWM,i3wm,hlwm,bspwm,dwm on sid
Linux User #449130

flashydolphin8827

#12 Post by flashydolphin8827 »

I know how the original poster feels because at one point in the past 22 some odd year that I have been using Debian and mor importantly Linux as a whole I too experienced the same mixed feelings of panic and excitement. However just because you may feel that you have more experience than some one else does does by no means give you any right to draw offencive parallels.

As for the ops original quandary I believe that with a little mor research on both the debian forums, debian mailing lists and maybe even some third party tutorials of which their are more than enough of on the interwebs the OP could learn quite abit.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by Hallvor »

flashydolphin8827 wrote: 2022-08-16 18:24 I know how the original poster feels because at one point in the past 22 some odd year that I have been using Debian and mor importantly Linux as a whole I too experienced the same mixed feelings of panic and excitement.
Yes, we probably all did, and still remember.
However just because you may feel that you have more experience than some one else does does by no means give you any right to draw offencive parallels.
Maybe there is a linguistic or cultural barrier here, but I have no idea what you are talking about.
As for the ops original quandary I believe that with a little mor research on both the debian forums, debian mailing lists and maybe even some third party tutorials of which their are more than enough of on the interwebs the OP could learn quite abit.
Agree. People who are interested in learning usually try to solve their own problems before asking others to do their work.