Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

All 3 Wi-Fi Cards Down?!

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
curtaintwitcher

Re: All 3 Wi-Fi Cards Down?!

#16 Post by curtaintwitcher »

What you did in windows has no bearing whatsoever on the device working or not under GNU/Linux...

This is most likely what fixed it in the end:
gto wrote:removed some junky drivers which I tested with before and left only the Atheros Firmware.

gto

#17 Post by gto »

curtaintwitcher wrote:What you did in windows has no bearing whatsoever on the device working or not under GNU/Linux...

This is most likely what fixed it in the end:
gto wrote:removed some junky drivers which I tested with before and left only the Atheros Firmware.
Because nothing else worked. The adapter was working immediately after booting the Debian, before cleaning the junky drivers. The problem wasn't the drivers,if you research a bit more you'll find that there's a problem with the Kernel and the hard lock. :) No solution or suggestion worked before that under Linux.
By the way my Wifi adapter is supported usually by both Debian and Ubuntu just right out of the box, no drivers neccesary!

curtaintwitcher

#18 Post by curtaintwitcher »

gto wrote:Because nothing else worked. The adapter was working immediately after booting the Debian, before cleaning the junky drivers. The problem wasn't the drivers,if you research a bit more you'll find that there's a problem with the Kernel and the hard lock. :) No solution or suggestion worked before that under Linux.
You're suggesting that people need to buy and install windows, remove and reinstall the windows drivers, reboot, install Debian, in order to get this particular adapter to work, you do realise that's what you're saying?
gto wrote:By the way my Wifi adapter is supported usually by both Debian and Ubuntu just right out of the box, no drivers neccesary!
All hardware peripheral devices need drivers. If it worked "out of the box", that's because a driver was already included in the kernel.

gto

#19 Post by gto »

curtaintwitcher wrote:
gto wrote:Because nothing else worked. The adapter was working immediately after booting the Debian, before cleaning the junky drivers. The problem wasn't the drivers,if you research a bit more you'll find that there's a problem with the Kernel and the hard lock. :) No solution or suggestion worked before that under Linux.
You're suggesting that people need to buy and install windows, remove and reinstall the windows drivers, reboot, install Debian, in order to get this particular adapter to work, you do realise that's what you're saying?
gto wrote:By the way my Wifi adapter is supported usually by both Debian and Ubuntu just right out of the box, no drivers neccesary!
All hardware peripheral devices need drivers. If it worked "out of the box", that's because a driver was already included in the kernel.
Of course the drivers were included in the Kernel!!! The drivers for the most used network adapters are usually included in the versions of Ubuntu and Debian and your Wifi works while you're installing the OS (Live CD).

From here:
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... 20XPS%2013
"WiFi Works well BUT you must install firmware before, and be careful not to press the wifi button which will make your wifi go off forever. It is highly recommended to install the (Ubuntu) Sputnik kernel or standard 3.9 in order to have this bug fixed. Firmware package name is: firmware-iwlwifi".
The same bug is related to all laptops not only DELL! It's up to you, if you're going to buy Windows or not (you can use 30 day trial version, I personally have over 6 licenses for XP Pro and Win7 Ultimate and Pro). I've been installing Debian on hundreds of servers, laptops and desktops and had no issues with the wifi until now! Whether you'll buy or not, install or not Windows, it's up to you!
If you do a bit more research and look for "Wifi not working due to Rfkill" you'll see how many people are having the same issue in so many different Linux distros and NOT being able to solve this problem. Which means that most likely it's a Kernel problem.

I don't know why, if you have a suggestion, you didn't mention anything when we were discussing the problem with "tera" and were out of options? If you're looking just to argue about something and/or show off this is not the place! :)

Let's face it! Windows have better drivers support than GNU/Linux!

ajpat3

#20 Post by ajpat3 »

All I got to say is "Way-to-go" gto.
Arthur.