Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Update Problem? (SOLVED)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Castle_Age

Update Problem? (SOLVED)

#1 Post by Castle_Age »

vbmcm
Last edited by Castle_Age on 2023-08-11 15:17, edited 2 times in total.
DELETED ACCOUNT

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Update Problem?

#2 Post by arochester »

A mirror can be down temporarily.

Have you got Synaptic? If so, go Settings>Repositories>Debian Software>Download from>Other>Select Best Server

cuckooflew

#3 Post by cuckooflew »

The "image" just goes to blank page, at least for me, but you could show what your

Code: Select all

/etc/apt/sources.list
show us what it has in it.
Yes a mirror could also be down, but with out any details it is only guessing.
Based on the title "update problem",.. I don't what that means either, what are you trying to update ?
The so called image, just says "deepin-screenshot-2020", ? What is that ? Please give some better details, What version of Debian, show your sources.list file, explain what you want to update, eg: some package name, or what ? How do you run the command to update ?
of course, if you do have synaptic, and what arochester says works, no need for anything, just mark the post solved by editing the subject line and add the word "solved" to it.
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

sgosnell

#4 Post by sgosnell »

The screenshot shows that mirror.aarnet.edu.au is down. Security.debiian.org updated, but the mirror wouldn't. That's why I don't use local mirrors - they go down all too often. I use one of the debian.org sites, after too many episodes of being unable to update over the years. There is a local university mirror near me, but it's too unreliable to use.
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

cuckooflew

#5 Post by cuckooflew »

Weird, now the screen shot does show, it didn't earlier,maybe it is just me, ...Any way, yea , they could just use a different mirror, that should solve the problem
Please Read What we expect you have already Done
Search Engines know a lot, and
"If God had wanted computers to work all the time, He wouldn't have invented RESET buttons"
and
Just say NO to help vampires!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

sgosnell wrote:The screenshot shows that mirror.aarnet.edu.au is down. Security.debiian.org updated, but the mirror wouldn't. That's why I don't use local mirrors - they go down all too often. I use one of the debian.org sites, after too many episodes of being unable to update over the years. There is a local university mirror near me, but it's too unreliable to use.
I used to pick a close mirror like aarnet or monash uni but they would occasionally be down or fail to be up-to-date. Now I just put deb.debian.org in sources and let that redirect to the best close working mirror. It's the default when installing Debian and the recommended example at https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

sgosnell

#7 Post by sgosnell »

Yeah, that's what I do. There used to be a different syntax for that, which I've forgotten, but it's good that they made it simpler.

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

It also means you should choose a dark background or turn off transparency for your terminal when you post a screenshot to make it easier to read. The best way is to copy and paste the text into code tags in a post here, though.
MX Linux packager and developer

sgosnell

#9 Post by sgosnell »

Posting screenshots like that will not win you any friends in forums. Text output in code tags is far easier to read. I suspect most people will just ignore such screenshots. We don't care that you're a Jurassic Park fan, and the dark theme makes screenshots harder to read. Just the text, man, to misquote Sgt. Joe Friday.

Castle_Age

Re: Update Problem? (SOLVED)

#10 Post by Castle_Age »

vmhmgh
Last edited by Castle_Age on 2023-08-11 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
DELETED ACCOUNT

sgosnell

#11 Post by sgosnell »

It's ok, really. It's just that my eyes are old, and I don't always have all that much time for downloading images and trying to read text in it. Posting text, inside code tags, makes things at least an order of magnitude easier to read and understand, and is far more likely to get someone to try to help you. It's all a learning process, but learning quickly has a big advantage. You'll adapt quickly, I'm sure.

Castle_Age

#12 Post by Castle_Age »

hdghdgh
DELETED ACCOUNT