Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Install a program separate from the whole system.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
hack3rcon

Install a program separate from the whole system.

#1 Post by hack3rcon »

Hello,
I want to install a program, but separate from the whole system. For example, I have a "Brave Browser" on my system, I downloaded the source code of it and want to change some parts of it, install and test it, but I don't like the "Brave Browser" on my system be spoiled.
How can I do it? I know an option is using a VM or container, but how about other options?

Thank you.

reinob

Re: Install a program separate from the whole system.

#2 Post by reinob »

Most programs are configured to be installed under /usr/local, while most distributions configure them to be installed under /usr.

So when you do your ./configure && make && make install dance, you just have to make sure the PREFIX is not /usr, but /usr/local, or, if OK, some path in your home (like "./configure --prefix=/home/software/" or such).

Whether that works or not with the Brave Browser is something you will have to check. I don't even know if they use autoconf.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Brave appears to use npm for the build. Good luck with that.

https://www.keithcirkel.co.uk/how-to-us ... uild-tool/
deadbang

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

reinob wrote:Most programs are configured to be installed under /usr/local, while most distributions configure them to be installed under /usr.

So when you do your ./configure && make && make install dance, you just have to make sure the PREFIX is not /usr, but /usr/local, or, if OK, some path in your home (like "./configure --prefix=/home/software/" or such).

Whether that works or not with the Brave Browser is something you will have to check. I don't even know if they use autoconf.
And good luck if you think compiling a Chromium-based browser is a simple matter of "configure, make, make install".

I would suggest you rebuild Debian's Chromium from its source in order to get some idea of how long something like that takes!

The one in Sid is supposed to build on stock Buster, but hasn't been backported yet for some reason...
MX Linux packager and developer

hack3rcon

#5 Post by hack3rcon »

Thus, a VM is easiest way?

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

A container is easier and the performance will be better. Check the HowTo section for a guide to using systemd-nspawn.
deadbang