Launching Applications on Login

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
natan2021

Launching Applications on Login

#1 Post by natan2021 »

Hi guys! I already know that to do this, I can use the "Session apps" feature, but I don't know how to find the corresponding "command" of the application.

Debian Mate 10.9

sunrat
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Launching Applications on Login

#2 Post by sunrat »

I don't know how Mate does it, in KDE one can right-click in the menu and choose "Edit Application" and the command will be shown in the subsequent box.
For most DEs, applications will appear in /usr/share/applications as a .desktop file. Open that with a text editor and the command will be shown in the Exec= line. For example, Firefox is

Code: Select all

Exec=/usr/lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr %u
Copy that command (without the Exec=) and put it in your startup applications thingy.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

natan2021

Re: Launching Applications on Login

#3 Post by natan2021 »

sunrat wrote:I don't know how Mate does it, in KDE one can right-click in the menu and choose "Edit Application" and the command will be shown in the subsequent box.
For most DEs, applications will appear in /usr/share/applications as a .desktop file. Open that with a text editor and the command will be shown in the Exec= line. For example, Firefox is

Code: Select all

Exec=/usr/lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr %u
Copy that command (without the Exec=) and put it in your startup applications thingy.
I did it in a simpler way, going in the usr path... that you mentioned, I went into the application's properties, and copied the corresponding information in "Session applications". Thanks!