Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Firefox performance

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
natan2021

Firefox performance

#1 Post by natan2021 »

Hello guys! The performance of this browser, both version 78 (native to this Debian) and version 89 (the one I currently use) are showing a lower performance than Chrome 91. For example, even when scrolling a page on a website, you notice a certain " choke" or "delay" (This is more intense in version 89 than in 78). Detail...this happens even with the processor cores being used in less than 50% each, the ram memory being used in 70%, the swap in less than 1%. Is there a way to fix this, keeping the use of the same version of the browser I use?

Debian 10.9 Kill
Acer i5 4GB SSD

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Firefox performance

#2 Post by sunrat »

Probably something to do with graphics, maybe software rendering. You need to show more details of your system, "i5" is meaningless as Intel have used that term for nearly 10 years for low-spec and high mid-spec processors. I have an i5-6500 and have no issues with Firefox seeming slow or laggy. I never see anywhere near that amount of CPU or RAM usage. Best system info can be had from the program inxi. Install it and post the output of

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

natan2021

#3 Post by natan2021 »

sunrat wrote:Probably something to do with graphics, maybe software rendering. You need to show more details of your system, "i5" is meaningless as Intel have used that term for nearly 10 years for low-spec and high mid-spec processors. I have an i5-6500 and have no issues with Firefox seeming slow or laggy. I never see anywhere near that amount of CPU or RAM usage. Best system info can be had from the program inxi. Install it and post the output of

inxi -Fxz
processor i5-6200U 2.3 GHz with turbo boost up to 2.8 GHz
Intel HD graphics 520 up to 2116 MB Dynamic Video Memory
Ram 4 GB DDR3 L
SSD Sandisk

If you need more information just say so.

stevepusser

#4 Post by stevepusser »

Well, you took it upon yourself to cut most of output of "inxi -Fxz", including output that would show if your graphics are performing as well as they could. Intel GPUs that are sixth generation and above require non-free firmware for best graphics and sound output, and Debian doesn't push that firmware onto users by default because of a strong stance for free software.

For Buster, it's this package: https://packages.debian.org/buster/firm ... sc-nonfree
MX Linux packager and developer

natan2021

#5 Post by natan2021 »

stevepusser wrote:Well, you took it upon yourself to cut most of output of "inxi -Fxz", including output that would show if your graphics are performing as well as they could. Intel GPUs that are sixth generation and above require non-free firmware for best graphics and sound output, and Debian doesn't push that firmware onto users by default because of a strong stance for free software.

For Buster, it's this package: https://packages.debian.org/buster/firm ... sc-nonfree
I just don't understand what is "inxi -Fxz". Besides, thanks.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

natan2021 wrote:I just don't understand what is "inxi -Fxz". Besides, thanks.
You won't get far in Debian if you don't understand simple instructions. inxi is a system information utility. It will tell us the status of your system hardware including graphics drivers.
In Synaptic or whatever package manager you use just install inxi. Or in a terminal do (as root or sudo):

apt install inxi
When it is installed, run in a terminal

inxi -Fxz
and copy/paste the output here inside code tags.

If you want to know what the -Fxz options mean, run

man inxi
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Just for newcomers, we aren't giving terminal commands to show that we are elite haxors.

It's because we have a dizzying choice of applications you could be using to accomplishing similar tasks on Linux, between all the different desktops and window managers, and rather than have to grill every user about what they may have, we go to the terminal emulator, which everyone should have, and advise commands for it. It's more trouble having to guide someone remotely--"OK, hit the Tools menu, then the Advanced submenu, then on the third tab of the dialog box that appears, check off the "I Accept" entry, then close the app, log out and back in." Too much of that already.

Plus it should be simple for any relevant terminal output to be copypasted into a reply here.
MX Linux packager and developer