Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Starting with Debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Lonewolf71

Starting with Debian

#1 Post by Lonewolf71 »

Hi guys.
I'm wondering how do I go about using Debian vs. Linux Mint?
I am very used to stuff like Software Sources, System Reports (crash reports), Gufw, Software Store etc. any help would be appreciated.

MALsPa

Re: Starting with Debian

#2 Post by MALsPa »

I'd suggest starting out by getting used to referring to these:

https://wiki.debian.org/FrontPage
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by Hallvor »

[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Lonewolf71

#4 Post by Lonewolf71 »

Drawbacks (may) include
1. Old and sometimes outdated software. If you *must* have the latest software at all times, Debian is not for you.
A word of caution. Never ever install packages from distros like Ubuntu or its PPAs
What is the reasons for this?

golinux

#5 Post by golinux »

Lonewolf71 wrote:
Drawbacks (may) include
1. Old and sometimes outdated software. If you *must* have the latest software at all times, Debian is not for you.
A word of caution. Never ever install packages from distros like Ubuntu or its PPAs
What is the reasons for this?
1. Debian is about stability not shiny, shiny new stuff.

2. Installing from other related repositories could possibly break your system and create a "Frankendebian". If you like Russian Roulette feel free to give it a try but sooner or later it will likely bite you.
May the FORK be with you!

Bulkley

#6 Post by Bulkley »

The best way to find out about a new distro is to try it with a live version (CD or USB) or to install it as a virtual machine (VM).

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Hallvor »

golinux wrote: 1. Debian is about stability not shiny, shiny new stuff.
Yes. Older packages is the price you pay for stability, much like in real life, when age is the price of experience. Debian releases a new version only about every second year, and these are extensively tested before release.

Don't worry about older packags, though: You'll have security upgrades and a very stable system.
Last edited by Hallvor on 2021-07-02 19:50, edited 1 time in total.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by CwF »

The choice and satisfaction with Debian depends on the user. Are you a creator or a consumer. The more DIY (do-it-yourself) inclined you are the more Debian fits. Consumers should use a 'based on' derivative since that is their role.

Debian will do whatever you want, if you tell it how.

Right now with Bullseye is a stage when Debian is as close to current as it gets. This release will age and simmer for about 2 years.

Lonewolf71

#9 Post by Lonewolf71 »

Thanks guys :)

Lonewolf71

#10 Post by Lonewolf71 »

Hallvor wrote:
golinux wrote: 1. Debian is about stability not shiny, shiny new stuff.
Yes. Older packages is the price you pay for stability, much like in real life, when age is the price of experience. Debian releases a new version only about every second year, and these are extensively tested before release.

Don't worry about older packags, though: You'll have security upgrades and a very stable system.
That's good to hear!

craigevil

#11 Post by craigevil »

I would say go ahead and install Bullseye/Testing. At this point it is as stable as it will probably get, the push is on to release by the end of July.

You can easily install things like gnome-software in order to have access to new packages in the form of flatpaks and snaps.

Other than that stick with the Debian repos and you will be fine.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#12 Post by cds60601 »

Lonewolf71 wrote:Hi guys.
I'm wondering how do I go about using Debian vs. Linux Mint?
I am very used to stuff like Software Sources, System Reports (crash reports), Gufw, Software Store etc. any help would be appreciated.
Well, if you wanted to do some form of transition, you could install LMDE - that is the Debian version of Mint, by Mint.
While not exactly like using a vanilla Debian, it would get you somewhere between Mint's flagship and a pure Debian install (arguably closer to a pure Debian install).

When you are ready to take the pure Debian plunge, you could simply install with Cinnamon (assuming you are using that with Mint).
Of course, some would argue that going with LMDE over a pure Debian install might be a waste of time since they are extremely similar (and it is Debian, with some Mint bits added).

In the end, it's all about your comfort level.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Lonewolf71

#13 Post by Lonewolf71 »

Thanks for the help/info guys