Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Buggy Gui; i386 stable iso, inspiron Dell 11-3162

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
AbstractApproach

Buggy Gui; i386 stable iso, inspiron Dell 11-3162

#1 Post by AbstractApproach »

Edit: Less than 4GB of Ram also, may relevant
Hardware = Dell Inspiron 11-3162 (stock) w/ Intel celeron N3050 cpu and Intel HD Graphics 400 (Braswell) gpu
Image = stable i386 (it says that one is for all intel) Tried fee and non free

Solution attempts: Reburned image with DD command on Rpi4b+8G and RPI burner on Windows 10 desktop P.C.
with both free and non free images, also tried reinstalling each burn multiple times and tried three different desktop managers
Gnome, KDE, and the one that stars with an x, xfce or something.

Knowledge gaining attempts; Googling the matter (Debian on Dell inspiron 11-3162 buggy gui) brought many many irrelevant results and I can't even find the word dell on this forum. I know my way around a raspberry pi and understand a lot of bash, however I know very little about the booting process.

Problem: GUI is "buggy" with black chunks often taking up screen and unreadable gibberish for text. Sometimes it's a bit better and simply forgets how to write a "d". It boots, and the tty's work perfectly.

My apologies if this is a stupid question. I just wanted to know if anything wrong immediately strikes you guys
I don't expect you to walk me through everything, but I'd like to know I'm on the right track.

Edit 2, giving more direct info and finding scary words

Code: Select all

more /proc/version
Linux version 4.19.0-17-686-pae  (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org)  (gcc version 8.3.0-6)) #1 SMP Debian 4.19.194-2  (2001-06-21)

more /proc/cpuinfo
processor :0
vendor_id :GenuineIntel
cpu family :6
model :76
model name :Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU N3710 @ 1.60GHz
stepping :4
microcode :0x410
cpu MHz :480.000
cache size :1024 KB
siblings :4
core I'd :0
cpu cores :4
apicid :0
initial_apicid :0
fdiv_bug :no
f00f_bug :no
coma_bug :no
fpu :yes
fpu_execution :yes
cupid level :11
wp :yes
flags :fpu vme pse tsc msr mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pge nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts xtopology tsc_reliable cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch epb pti ibrs ibpq stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms dtherm ida a rat
bugs :cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 mds msbds_only
bogomips :3200.00
clflush size :64
cache_alignment :64
address sizes :36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management  :

processor :1
cpu MHz :480.000
core I'd :1
apicid :2
initial_apicid :2
flags :fpu vme pse tsc msr mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pge nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts xtopology tsc_reliable cpuid aperfmperf tsc_known_freq pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch epb pti ibrs ibpq stibp tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms dtherm ida a rat
power management  :

processor :2
cpu MHz :630.754
core I'd :2
apicid :4
initial_apicid :4
power management  :

processor :3
cpu MHz :533.043
core I'd :3
apicid :6
initial_apicid :6
power management  :

Darn, while trying to get you guys more info I stumbled accross the words spectre and meltdown. That's probably the problem, any way too fix it?

edit3: So I did some more googling. Found plenty of ways to prevent them, but no cure. I'm guessing I am screwed. I found no answers, just more questions. Is it dangerous to run this computer on my WiFi? Will it infect others? Is there some slim chance I can save it? Ugh. Idk, frustration

edit4: apparently these have nothing to do with my partially solved issues, see below
Last edited by AbstractApproach on 2021-07-08 01:34, edited 4 times in total.

arid

Re: EDIT:Spectre/meltdownOT:Buggy Gui; i386 stable iso, insp

#2 Post by arid »

Yes, there is a way to get rid of spectre and meltdown.

Get rid of all your kernels where these sinister entities reside.

Oh...wait... No kernel, no operating system. :mrgreen:

I'm sure one of the more knowledgeable members will be along shortly to save the day.
There's no drama in my sid......

stevepusser

#3 Post by stevepusser »

Your system already has mitigations against Spectre and Meltdown, and I don't know if any exploits for these have ever been found in the wild.

So--a graphics issue. Please install inxi from the repositories and run "inxi -G" from the terminal, then paste the results here so we can see what your graphics situation is.

I believe your system is defaulting to the Intel modesetting driver in the kernel, and inxi will tell us that. Debian should also ship with the "intel" driver provided by xserver-xorg-video-intel, but you must create a file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf" with contents like these:

Section "Device"
   Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
   Driver      "intel"
#  Option      "AccelMethod" "uxa"  #could also use the default "sna"
   Option      "TearFree"     "true"
EndSection
and reboot to switch. You can also uncomment the "uxa" line and reboot to try that acceleration method.
MX Linux packager and developer

AbstractApproach

#4 Post by AbstractApproach »

stevepusser wrote:Your system already has mitigations against Spectre and Meltdown, and I don't know if any exploits for these have ever been found in the wild.
Oh, cool. I wonder why /proc/cpuinfo has them under "bugs"?! That scared me to death when I saw it!
stevepusser wrote: So--a graphics issue. Please install inxi from the repositories and run "inxi -G" from the terminal

sudo apt install inxi
.....y.......
inxi -G
Graphics:           Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics driver: i985 v: kernel
                   Display: try server: X.irg 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded fbdev,vesa 
  tty: 170x48
                   Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in consoles try -G --display

Now I will re-read your post. I was editing the O.P. with some disheartening research I did. I am still so confused about the bugs section of /proc/cpuinfo.

But I think you gave me advice to, I just wanted to respond. Will edit this soon, I just thought it would be respectful to get the I fo you asked for.

I ran it in a tty, I can try my luck with the gui terminal if that didnt work. I'm typing to fast to think rn, so I will edit after I slow down and absorb the info you and my computer are telling me.

edit, ok yeah, you hit the nail on the head. The display driver is modesetting, I will nano up that file you suggested and give it a try, I'll edit again with results

edit 2

cd etc/X11
sudo mkdir xorg.conf.d
cd xo*
sudo nano 20-intel.conf
And I'm assuming tabs in your code where it looks like four spaces, as that's a bash script thing right (a pet peeve of mine, whitespace sensitive languages) including a tab in between

Identifier
and

"Intel Graphics"
for example, right?[/b]

Edit3 Still buggy, missing letters and crashy browsers. But much better. I tried an update, but am fully updated.
Are you sure it has nothing to do with meltdown or spectre? I'll try another reboot. This time I will power down. In tty

inxi -G
Graphics:           Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics driver: i985 v: kernel
                   Display: try server: X.irg 1.20.4 driver: Intel tty: 170x48
                   Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in consoles try -G --display

So that did change. Thank you for your help, it is markedly better even if now barely useable

AbstractApproach

#5 Post by AbstractApproach »

ok, so that repair helped A LOT. I am still getting black boxes randomly sometimes, and none of the file names or tabs are readable (you can see a few letters)

as said in the last edit of last post, the driver change did work, but its still malfunctioning. However I am posting this from the dellOnDebian!!!!!!

also, the gui terminal is still mostly unuseable but sometimes acts normal.

abstract@debian4dell:~$ inxi -G
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx 
  Integrated Graphics 
  driver: i915 v: kernel 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 405 (Braswell) x86/MMX/SSE2 
  v: 4.5 Mesa 18.3.6 

AbstractApproach

#6 Post by AbstractApproach »

ok, so after a few days of use things are slowly getting better. At this time it's looking and behaving perfectly. Computers are so weird, why not just work right away; lol!

anyways to summarize this is bad

abstract@debian4dell:~$ sudo apt install inxi 
if, after the previous install your inxi -G command has modesetting in it. Mine doesn't anymore, but it'll look sorta like the following (check after the word driver')

Graphics:
  Integrated Graphics 
  Display: try server: X.irg 1.20.4 driver: modesetting unloaded fbdev,vesa
this fixes it

abstract@debian4dell:/etc/X11$ sudo mkdir xorg.conf.d

abstract@debian4dell:/etc/X11$ sudo nano 20-intel.conf
then fill your new file in your new directory so that it looks like this

abstract@debian4dell:/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d$ more 2*
Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Intel Graphics"
	Driver		"Intel"
	Option		"TearFree"		"true"
EndSection	
mine was still a bit buggy for a few days, but the following check confirms you accomplished everything I did, which eventually solved my problem (for now it seems, at least)

Graphics:
  Integrated Graphics 
  Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.4 driver: intel resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
I owe it all to the person above who's name sliips my mind, but that what editing is for!

Thank you arid for
arid wrote:all of the above

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Rest assured that the graphics problems had nothing to do with any spectre-meltdown speculative execution timing attacks.

If you are still worried, you can install the current "spectre-meltdown-checker" package from buster-backports, install it, and run it with sudo in a terminal. It will tell you if your hardware has the issues (yes) and if they are mitigated (yes, green results are good) at the end of each section.

https://packages.debian.org/buster-back ... wn-checker
MX Linux packager and developer

AbstractApproach

#8 Post by AbstractApproach »

thanks for the reassurance steve.

As for everything else, the buggyness is back; more or less. Random black tiles and missing letters but still at least usable bc of arid

thanks again, any other suggestions welcome. One lady modified the grub file with some luck, see here https://linuxreviews.org/Linux_Kernel_5 ... ernels#end but it didn't work for me.

AbstractApproach

Re: Buggy Gui; i386 stable iso, inspiron Dell 11-3162

#9 Post by AbstractApproach »

problem: i386 buggy on Pentium N3710
Solution https://wiki.debian.org/CrossGrading
note: after i386 install, it would not recognize AMD64 (i.e. x86-64 or aarch64) installers.

It is stable now, running debian 10 under kernel 4.19.0-17-amd64
The link above indicates I may have more work to do. But if a problem arises I'll check it out

Also appears it is a
Dell inspiron 3168 with a
pentium N3710
Bios 2.3.0
*so I gave the wrong information initially*