Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is it possible to get Debian10 to show MiB instead of MB

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Marie SWE

Re: Is it possible to get Debian10 to show MiB instead of MB

#41 Post by Marie SWE »

stevepusser wrote:Wow, I have forgotten that buster still was on XFCE 4.12, though it's now 4.12.5 instead of the 4.12.4 you show, and your 4.19 kernel needs updating to 4.19.0-17--though that's supposed to be an automatic update.

I believe that the selection feature was added to XFCE with 4.14, which I've been using on MX for a couple of years now:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: <filter> Kernel: 5.12.0-13.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A 
           Desktop: Xfce 4.14.3 tk: Gtk 3.24.5 info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm4 dm: LightDM 1.26.0 
           Distro: MX-19.4_ahs_x64 patito feo May 31  2020 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
My laptop I use to browse internet with got some crap in it.. I don't know if it is virus or telemetry.. so I shut it down and start using this desktop I am learning to configure debian on.. So that's why it isn't up to date with updates... So when I'm satisfied with the configuration and learned by my mistakes, then I will reinstall the computer and make all the tweaks in the right order and without the extra extra that has came in by mistake ... so I get a clean system that goes for several years ago :D So that's why i don't update it now
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)
You only have one life, so make the most of it and enjoy it while you can.

Marie SWE

#42 Post by Marie SWE »

dilberts_left_nut wrote:
Marie SWE wrote:And isn't that the whole point of Linux, that you can tweak Linux after their own needs and taste
Yes, indeed. You have the freedom to modify the source code to your requirements and compile your own.
I starting to learn to customize linux... but It is a long way and a steep learning curve :roll:
And it seems to be more difficult learning curve to learn Linux the more you can about windows systems .. It is so incredibly easy to get stuck in windows thoughts/solutions when problems occurs and you should troubleshoot and resolve linux problems.

But I still trying and I have not given up yet... even if I have been so close a few times that i almost fled back to windows. :oops:
Why make things complicated in life, if you can make it easier for yourself... Do it. ;o)

stevepusser

#43 Post by stevepusser »

You're on the Net on that machine, yet refusing to apply Debian security updates.

Oh, well, it's your machine, but you don't make it easy when you then come asking here for help. Nobody here is suggesting you need to learn to code and compile programs to fix a few small issues, either...that's a myth that Win fans like to spread about Liinux distros.
MX Linux packager and developer

Marie SWE

#44 Post by Marie SWE »

stevepusser wrote:You're on the Net on that machine, yet refusing to apply Debian security updates.

Oh, well, it's your machine, but you don't make it easy when you then come asking here for help. Nobody here is suggesting you need to learn to code and compile programs to fix a few small issues, either...that's a myth that Win fans like to spread about Liinux distros.
Yes I am online with this machine .. But it is on separate VLAN so it is isolated from my work computers :wink:

As I mentioned earlier, I have this computer only to learn Debian on. I going to replace all my LMDE computers I have to Debian,.. but I must learn Debian before I make the shift, so it will go smoothly without problems.
So if this computer gets infected by virus do to no security updates.. so be it... it can be a good learning experiences in that case... Since Linux isn't immune to Virus and Malware and there isn't any good antivirus software to Linux. So it can be useful to learn how to identify that the computer has been affected and how to track the virus in the file system and how to clean it manually. But it's nothing I have planned to learn right now :mrgreen:
To clarify so it isn't any misunderstanding. I always use isolated computers when I experiment with new operating systems and over the years with viruses to Windows... And in the future I will learn how viruses work in Linux so I can protect my systems.
An operating system or a network is never safer than the user's knowledge of it.. it goes for Linux, Windows or MacOS :D

If one just makes everything easy in life and just run everything's out of the box, how to evolve then :?
I did the same with ms-dos in the 80s and same with windows for all years and still does even if I'm not personally using Win10 and soon 11. Where I do a lot of experiment with operating systems to learn how it works and the most important thing, what doesn't work
So I am using little of the same method in Linux, I try to understand how things works, how they interact and what does and doesn't go. As well as what possible even if other says it probably shouldn't work.

So yes, I do some things backwards sometimes and more complicated than is needed... But that's the way I got very good at Microsoft's system.. And I hope I can get half as good in Linux or equally good in the future... But I have a long way to go and one step at a time before i get there.
And in the future I hope to contribute to Debian and this forum with answering questions instead of asking them.

Sorry for the long post But I hope it answers some of your and all others thoughts on how, why, etc. about me and my backward style :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#45 Post by CwF »

Marie SWE wrote:So if this computer gets infected by virus do to no security updates.. so be it..
The chance is very close to ZERO.