Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

crash logs

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Lonewolf71

crash logs

#1 Post by Lonewolf71 »

How do I check to see if there's any crash logs? I have googled and youtubed but can't figure it out :?

ticojohn

Re: crash logs

#2 Post by ticojohn »

Lonewolf71 wrote: 2021-07-20 15:00 How do I check to see if there's any crash logs? I have googled and youtubed but can't figure it out :?
I'm not familiar with crash logs, per say, but two useful tools are dmesg and journalctl. They can both give a lot of information. If your system is running systemd then journalctl should be installed by default. I don't remember for sure but I think that dmesg needs to be installed. There is a lot information available on the web on how to use those tools. Hope you find my response helpful.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Dai_trying

#3 Post by Dai_trying »

Generally speaking logs can be found at /var/log/ some applications have their own folder there. the syslog file is often useful to me but it really depends where the application writes it's logs to.

Lonewolf71

#4 Post by Lonewolf71 »

I just need to know when an app or something in Debian crashes how to find it and just to check every so often.