Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Boot Problem

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Webstrucs

Debian Boot Problem

#1 Post by Webstrucs »

I've formatted Debian Buster in the current version and I've been handling boot errors. I did the boot recording before entering the system and published it on youtube, what would this error be and how can I solve it? Follow the link :

https://youtu.be/CWRX02nte9E

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Debian Boot Problem

#2 Post by p.H »

ATA bus error.
Maybe a faulty SATA port, connector, cable or drive.

NorthEast

#3 Post by NorthEast »

Hello Webstrucs,
The kernel output looks a bit ominous ... hardware problem. I've used a rescue disk to check that sort of thing in the past, something like systemrescuecd which has smartmontools on it so that you can boot the rescue disk into RAM and then run smartctl with a relevant option on the disk and get some information on it's health.

millpond

#4 Post by millpond »

p.H wrote: 2021-08-11 21:27 ATA bus error.
Maybe a faulty SATA port, connector, cable or drive.
Indeed, cheap connectors are notoriously unreliable.

However, the drive should be checked on another machine, and if all is well, and connectors and ports can be ruled out - I have come across a fifth possibility, much harder to diagnose: The PSU (power supply).

The PSU problems arise from cheap units using capacitors lacking in the rare earth matrerials that add to production costs. Their inferior performance can actually damage hard drive platters.