Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Searching a specific about installing debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
rodvitner

Searching a specific about installing debian

#1 Post by rodvitner »

I'm searching for a specific website with a very long guide of "what to do after installed debian". It is not the "30 things to do"-guide. The guy here had some sort of protocol he followed. Among many other things he presented a solution on how to delete unnecessary language files. I found it for some weeks ago, but now I can't find it anymore. Does anybody recognize this and know the address? (Oh yes, I have already googled my fingertips bloody).

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: Searching a specific about installing debian

#2 Post by arochester »

DON'T just follow this website advice blindly. You don't need to do 30 things after installing Debian!

https://averagelinuxuser.com/debian-10-after-install

trinidad

#3 Post by trinidad »

I wouldn't play with this unless you know how to selectively do so:
https://gitlab.com/defcronyke/debian-post-install
https://gitlab.com/defcronyke/debian-po ... install.sh

Probably better off with this:
https://wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

rodvitner

#4 Post by rodvitner »

Thank you for the links above, but none of them are the right webpage.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#5 Post by arochester »

Is it not retained in your browser history?

rodvitner

#6 Post by rodvitner »

No.

Daniel-GNQ

#7 Post by Daniel-GNQ »

rodvitner wrote: 2021-08-12 09:55 I'm searching for a specific website with a very long guide of "what to do after installed debian". It is not the "30 things to do"-guide. The guy here had some sort of protocol he followed. Among many other things he presented a solution on how to delete unnecessary language files. I found it for some weeks ago, but now I can't find it anymore. Does anybody recognize this and know the address? (Oh yes, I have already googled my fingertips bloody).
You shouldn't just blindly listen to the guides, search and study for what do you really need...

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by Hallvor »

If it is that important to save a few megabytes, use the Debian wiki. The Internet is full of bad advice pulled out of someone's arse to gain clicks.

Find out what you need and ask for help when you have unsuccessfully tried to find a solution.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

arzgi

#9 Post by arzgi »

Hallvor wrote: 2021-08-12 21:22 If it is that important to save a few megabytes, use the Debian wiki. The Internet is full of bad advice pulled out of someone's arse to gain clicks.

Find out what you need and ask for help when you have unsuccessfully tried to find a solution.
+1!

There is nothing you have to do, after you have sucsesfully installed Debian. Removing man pages of some language just saves some disk space.

I would first just use Debian, and gradually learning. As said many times, some web page that refers to Debian, might work, or do harm. Search the forums, Debian wiki, and ask here if you can't find answer anywhere else.

rodvitner

#10 Post by rodvitner »

Thank you for all good advice, but they are not the answer to my question: Can somebody eventually help me with the address for this specific website?

arid

#11 Post by arid »

I know, I know!

But I'm not telling. :mrgreen:

The fact that you don't know how to do what you want, screams 'Don't do it'.

The sequence of actions should be; install, use each and every function for awhile to acquaint yourself with its proper behaviour and results and then and only then, you can use synaptic to safely pare your install of unwanted packages.

You won't need anyone elses 'honeydo list' once you are an experienced user that understands the system you have installed.
There's no drama in my sid......

arzgi

#12 Post by arzgi »

rodvitner wrote: 2021-08-13 13:43 Thank you for all good advice, but they are not the answer to my question: Can somebody eventually help me with the address for this specific website?
This question has nothing to do with Debian. Use search engine. Besides you have got very good advice, I wonder what you are missing.

millpond

#13 Post by millpond »

I believe OP is looking for
https://cgit.gentoo.org/proj/localepurge.git/commit/

Beware: This hasnt been updated in nearly 9 years.

I used this many years ago, with no problems.
However in the interim UTF8 has proliferated, and it is possible the program might drag in some if its files, and possibly create problems, especially with translation/ocr programs.

Run it with the -pretend mode and carefully check to see if files are needed.

Getting rid of potentially tens of thousands of foreign language files can be very helpful especially with backups. Problem is that they are usually restored on updates.

Beware of that ReduceDebian page. Some if its suggestions for 'unnecessary' apps are absurd (zip & unzip????). And have no clue as to when it was updated.

When getting low on space i usually use find with {exec} to go into the /usr/share/doc directory and wipe out anything useless, like the changelog* , and (gasp) copyright files. On my system it would clear about 40,000 files.

Totally OT here, but it should be noted for dual boot users, that if using a multilingual Win OS, *do not* get rid of the multi-language files in the system directory. It will totally screw up its system repair facility.

rtoledo2002

#14 Post by rtoledo2002 »

@rod have you've heard of youtube ? you can search there . also just a point I must make . harddrives are so freaking cheap , there no longer a need to delete languages and useless files .

here comes a old timers blah blah blah . When I bought my first "real " computer it took all the money I had to get the one witha 30 MEGABYTE drive , back then that stuff made sense. but with 8 TERAbyte drives selling for 100.oo , it's just plain silly to do it.

there's a channel in youtube named stephen's tech talks debian bullseye he will show you all you need to install not only Debian , but a bunch others too . and all he shows you is GOOD stuff