Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED]Help identifying if my cpu is a Skylake R0/D0 model

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
tired-owl

[SOLVED]Help identifying if my cpu is a Skylake R0/D0 model

#1 Post by tired-owl »

Hello, I was reading the release notes for Bullseye, specifically
5.1.20. Intel CPU microcode issues

The intel-microcode package currently in bullseye and buster-security (see DSA-4934-1) is known to contain two significant bugs. For some CoffeeLake CPUs this update may break network interfaces that use firmware-iwlwifi, and for some Skylake R0/D0 CPUs on systems using a very outdated firmware/BIOS, the system may hang on boot.
I'm not sure if my Intel processor would be affected by this, it's for sure a Skylake model, I have the box next to me, but I don't know what a Skylake R0/D0 processor would entail, I tried to look it up online but I couldn't figure it out.

My cpu is an Intel core i7 6700k, the product code is : BX80662I76700K, and in the front of the box it has i7-6700k LGA1151 sticker, I'm not sure but I believe my cpu is this one, https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... 0-ghz.html. Would my CPU be affected by the bug with the intel microcode?

edit: does R0/D0 refer to the stepping of the cpu? on that page my cpu has a stepping of R0

edit 2: I didn't notice,
The intel-microcode package currently in bullseye and buster-security
Right now I have an up-to-date buster system, so if it works now it should be ok? Bullseye seems to have the same microcode package version as buster-security,https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... -microcode But I guess that doesn't mean that it will play nice with the rest of the bullseye system.

edit 3: upgraded from buster to bullseye, all went without a hitch. :)