Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Wayland Nvidia

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
erniesx11

Wayland Nvidia

#1 Post by erniesx11 »

Hello, recent Debian convert to Debian 11 (used to run ubuntu), after installing Nvidia Drivers (Nvidia GeForce GT710) and rebooting i notice my default Gnome session has gone from WAYLAND to X11 i used the command echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE to verify this. The options in login menu are GNOME-GNOME CLASSIC and SYSTEM X11 DEFAULT, I was wondering if anyone knows why this has happened. I followed the instructions to add contrib and non-free to /etc/apt/sources.list and then run the commands to install the drivers, after a reboot i made sure Gnome was selected and i am getting X11 session type in terminal output. I have tried all sessions and wayland is not there. Any Help?

trinidad

Re: Wayland Nvidia

#2 Post by trinidad »

See below:
GDM3

GDM (GNOME Display Manager) will automatically use Wayland when supported, except when using the proprietary NVIDIA driver, in which case it will fall back to X11 due to instability.

To use the X11 backend by default, uncomment the WaylandEnable=false line in the /etc/gdm3/daemon.conf file
https://wiki.debian.org/Wayland

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.