Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Was there any change in globs usage?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
PrivatePearoak

Was there any change in globs usage?

#1 Post by PrivatePearoak »

Hello, guys! How are you today?

I just did a fresh install of Debian 11 in my computer and i'm really liking it so far. It looks way more responsive than Buster.

However, one of the things i noticed is that, somehow, globs seem different to use than on Buster.

For example: Let's just say i want to install a software named "Kicad" and it's modules. I can use "kicad*" or "*kicad*" to do such.
This specific software has its documentation in various languages and can be installed as well (i.e: kicad-doc-en).
But i don't want to install all the doc in all the different languages.
So, in order to bypass that on Buster, i'd do something like *kicad*[^d][^o][^c]* and it did work for me.

Now, on Bullseye, if i do the same thing, i'll get an error, like such pattern was wrong or, instead of looking for the desired pattern, i get "E: Unable to locate package *kicad*[^d][^o][^c]*".

My question is: Was there any changes on how globs works on Debian 11 or something like that?
If it turns out to be the case, how can i do some filters in order to avoid downloading everything, then excluding the unnecessary stuff? Even if Globs didn't change, is there a better way to do the same?

I've tried several other patterns and with other commands, such as ls, and i noticed the filters aren't behaving well when i negate a specific character ([^x]).
Ex:
echo *[^pP]* -> it shouldn't return anything with p or P, but the output was:
Desktop Documents Downloads Music node_modules package.json package-lock.json Pictures Public rotina Templates teste Videos

Should i have done something wrong, please, let me know!

If you guys have any link for better learning, i'd appreciated it too! :D

Thanks in advance for the help, guys! ^^

Sincerely,
Private

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Was there any change in globs usage?

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,
Welcome in the forum.
What is the program you use for package management ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

Are you making this more complicated than it actually is?

Is part of your problem the asterisks around the word kicad, calling up wildcards and then trying to install every package called kicad, including all the language packs?

If I mark kicad in Synaptic it does not add all the language packs.

As Root

Code: Select all

apt install kicad kicad-doc-en

PrivatePearoak

#4 Post by PrivatePearoak »

Aki wrote: 2021-08-19 08:44 Hello,
Welcome in the forum.
What is the program you use for package management ?
Hello there! Thank you, my friend!
I use apt for managing my packages and stuff.The way i normally use these wildcards worked just fine in Buster, but somehow in Bullseye it doesn't work. =/

PrivatePearoak

#5 Post by PrivatePearoak »

arochester wrote: 2021-08-19 09:29 Are you making this more complicated than it actually is?

Is part of your problem the asterisks around the word kicad, calling up wildcards and then trying to install every package called kicad, including all the language packs?

If I mark kicad in Synaptic it does not add all the language packs.

As Root

apt install kicad kicad-doc-en
Hello there! To be very honest, i don't know if there are easier ways of doing such filters. That's how i always did since i started to use Debian, back in 2017.
When i use only the asterisks, it runs without any problem. However, if i need to do more specific filters, such as ignore anything all packages that start with "kicad-d", for example, i get the error i mentioned above. However, if i do the same thing on Buster, it works the way i want, like the example below:

sudo apt install *kicad-[^d][^o]*
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'kicad-symbols' for glob '*kicad-[^d][^o]*'
Note, selecting 'kicad-libraries' for glob '*kicad-[^d][^o]*'
Note, selecting 'kicad-templates' for glob '*kicad-[^d][^o]*'
Note, selecting 'kicad-packages3d' for glob '*kicad-[^d][^o]*'
The following additional packages will be installed:
  kicad kicad-demos kicad-footprints libfreeimage3 libgail-common libgail18 libgl2ps1.4 libglew2.1 libglu1-mesa
  libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common libilmbase23 libjxr0 libngspice0 libnotify4 liboce-foundation11
  liboce-modeling11 liboce-ocaf-lite11 liboce-ocaf11 liboce-visualization11 libopenexr23 libraw19 libwebpmux3
  libwxbase3.0-0v5 libwxgtk3.0-0v5 libxslt1.1 notification-daemon xsltproc
Suggested packages:
  extra-xdg-menus kicad-doc-ca | kicad-doc-de | kicad-doc-en | kicad-doc-es | kicad-doc-fr | kicad-doc-id
  | kicad-doc-it | kicad-doc-ja | kicad-doc-nl | kicad-doc-pl | kicad-doc-ru | kicad-doc-zh glew-utils gvfs
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  kicad kicad-demos kicad-footprints kicad-libraries kicad-packages3d kicad-symbols kicad-templates libfreeimage3
  libgail-common libgail18 libgl2ps1.4 libglew2.1 libglu1-mesa libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common libilmbase23
  libjxr0 libngspice0 libnotify4 liboce-foundation11 liboce-modeling11 liboce-ocaf-lite11 liboce-ocaf11
  liboce-visualization11 libopenexr23 libraw19 libwebpmux3 libwxbase3.0-0v5 libwxgtk3.0-0v5 libxslt1.1
  notification-daemon xsltproc
0 upgraded, 33 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 395 MB of archives.
That's why i opened this thread, since it used to work, but now it don't. But i couldn't get to any conclusion, if it was my installation that might went wrong, or something change.

About the asterisks, i don't always need to use them. However, there are times that a default instalation isn't exactly enough for do what i do (such as Kicad, for example, which i need other extensions and stuff), and, because of this, i need to make use of globals.

Of course, if there's a better/safer/easier way to do, i would gladly start learning right away!

Edit: I think i wasn't very clear on what my problem is. My apologies for not explaining properly.
If i just install kicad, as you did, i'll get the main program. However, i also need other libraries and stuff that i need to install apart. So i used globals to make it easier.
Also, i noticed that i could save some storage if i could filter the packages i don't want (such as kicad-docs-ru, for example, since i'm no Russian speaker).
Anyways, point is that these globals i did worked on Buster but not on Bullseye. I thought it could be my installation, but i upgrade a VM with Buster to Bullseye and the problem started again.
Last edited by PrivatePearoak on 2021-08-21 00:00, edited 1 time in total.

PrivatePearoak

#6 Post by PrivatePearoak »

Hello guys! Just a quick update!

The machine with Buster i used on my last message, which, as you can see on the terminal output, got only the packages i wanted, was updated to Bullseye.

The problem (assuming it's a problem, not lack of knowledge on my part) started to happen. :(

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Aki »

Hello
As you reported, apt versions behave differently in Debian Buster and in Debian Bullseye.

Developers have discussed the feature change in debian-devel mailing list (see [1]).

[1] https://lists.debian.org/cgi-bin/search ... 7E.%7E%7E0
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

PrivatePearoak

#8 Post by PrivatePearoak »

Hello, guys!
Sorry for the long time for answering!

So it was an actual change, at least for apt, huh? That's really good to know!
Thanks a lot for your help, Aki! :D