Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SOLVED] Can't downgrade a package

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
nevis2us

[SOLVED] Can't downgrade a package

#1 Post by nevis2us »

I followed a wiki article on nvidia drivers and installed the packages mentioned from buster-backports which wasn't really necessary, was it? I replaced most of them with oldstable versions but can't downgrade libglvnd0 without removing 122 old packages which were there even before libglvnd0 was upgraded from 1.1.0-1 to 1.3.2-1~bpo10+2. Why? Is there a workaround?

# apt install libglvnd0=1.1.0-1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
apg brasero-cdrkit ca-certificates-java cheese-common chromium-sandbox cinnamon-control-center-data cinnamon-session-common cjs crda dconf-cli
default-jre-headless desktop-file-utils dleyna-server dvdauthor file-roller fonts-dejavu fonts-dejavu-extra gir1.2-caribou-1.0 gir1.2-cmenu-3.0
xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfonts-scalable xinit xserver-common xserver-xorg-legacy yelp-xsl zenity-common
Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
brasero cheese chromium chromium-common chromium-l10n cinnamon cinnamon-common cinnamon-control-center cinnamon-core cinnamon-desktop-environment
cinnamon-session default-jre ffmpeg gir1.2-clutter-1.0 gir1.2-cogl-1.0 gir1.2-coglpango-1.0 gir1.2-gst-plugins-base-1.0 gir1.2-gtkclutter-1.0
xserver-xorg-video-all xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-intel xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
xserver-xorg-video-nvidia xserver-xorg-video-qxl xserver-xorg-video-radeon xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vmware yelp zenity
The following packages will be DOWNGRADED:
libglvnd0
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 downgraded, 122 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Need to get 48.6 kB of archives.
After this operation, 761 MB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

Eventually I could do this with aptitude. I had to downgrade all remaining buster-backports dependencies as well. Already tried something like this with apt and apt-get but it didn't work. Debian has its share of quirks and surprises.

# aptitude install libegl1/oldstable libgl1/oldstable libgles2/oldstable libglvnd0/oldstable libglx0/oldstable