Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 11 update-ca-certificates

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
mattpan

Debian 11 update-ca-certificates

#1 Post by mattpan »

Hello,

I post this in beginners questions as I really feel like a beginner now:
I recently installed Debian 11 on a new host and wanted to add my CA root certificate to /usr/local/share/ca-certificates/ and now I don't know how I can make it work since the update-ca-certificates command can't be found.
Was this command removed from Debian 11 or am I too stupid here?
Any other way I can add my root CA certificate to be accepted?

Thank you

Cheers
Matthias

mm3100

Re: Debian 11 update-ca-certificates

#2 Post by mm3100 »

You need to have ca-certificates package installed in order to use update-ca-certificates.

mattpan

#3 Post by mattpan »

mm3100 wrote: 2021-08-26 18:35 You need to have ca-certificates package installed in order to use update-ca-certificates.
Hi mm3100 - thank you for your answer!
But ca-certificates was already installed (version 20210119) and I still don't have update-ca-certificates
I tried to reinstall it now - this actually updates the certificates on install, so that helps but needing to reinstall the package to update the certificates feels wrong

mm3100

#4 Post by mm3100 »

I do agree, that reinstalling package is wrong way to do it. You should figure out why it doesn't work. It should require root privilege to run, since it is in /sbin directory. Try to run from root account if it is activated, or check path environmental variable when running sudo. Maybe for some odd reasong /sbin isn't listed there?

ca-certificates: /usr/sbin/update-ca-certificates

mattpan

#5 Post by mattpan »

mm3100 wrote: 2021-08-27 18:52 I do agree, that reinstalling package is wrong way to do it. You should figure out why it doesn't work. It should require root privilege to run, since it is in /sbin directory. Try to run from root account if it is activated, or check path environmental variable when running sudo. Maybe for some odd reasong /sbin isn't listed there?

ca-certificates: /usr/sbin/update-ca-certificates
Ah, thank you! That was it, for whatever reason (clean install, only some packages installed through apt...) the path for root was empty, /usr/sbin/update-ca-certificates exists as it should!