Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Switching from Windows

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Marcellotogg

Switching from Windows

#1 Post by Marcellotogg »

As switching from Windows, I have looked at various distributions and have now also landed on Debian. All the reviews I have read are very good. However, during the installation I noticed a few things that cause a newbie to stop:
1. the version of the iso recommended on the website is not suitable, as only the live iso offers graphically guided and understandable instructions.
2. after completing the installation, no recommendations are shown on what else to do: How to complete language files etc.

if you compare the installation with Zorin, there is still a lot to improve.
What do you think?

arzgi

Re: Switching from Windows

#2 Post by arzgi »

Welcome!

All Debian installers at least a few past years have had at the start/boot menu option to start gui-installation.

The second question was discussed here some time ago, there is nothing you have to do. Start learning at your own pace, what programs you have, how they work, and if you want learn more, info is easy to find. Might seem overhelming at the start when you've changed from windows(r). A good choice! :D

https://wiki.debian.org is great place for seasoned and newbies as well.

mm3100

#3 Post by mm3100 »

Debian is supposed to be universal operating system, as such it can't show you recommendations as it doesn't know what use you want out of it. Server vs desktop use have rather stark differences in requirements. While some like 'minimalism' for someone new to linux it might be constraining, as you won't know what you are missing compared to other distributions that tend to add a lot of fluff but also usability out of the box. All of that can be done on Debian, but it won't be done automatically for you.

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

I forgot to say, that Debian installer does the language settings automatically after you have selected your language.

Zorin had very nice pages, which surely lures windows(r) users. Winrdows(r) I think it's not much more than eye candy.

Your mention of Zorin was the first time I heard of it. It's not a bad idea to test a few distros and see witch suits best.

Problem what these small derivatives often is, there are only few actives.

For example here have over the years been some antix users, which is also meant to older computers. I remember answering one thread, where the OP could get japanese language working, but when he/she tried in Debian, it worked.

As mm3100 told, Debian bends to many directions.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by CwF »

I'm not much for eye candy or a windows paradigm, I can appreciate art for a moment.

Zorin has always been a well done example. I'd recommend Voyager for a polished piece.

zarathustra-f90

#6 Post by zarathustra-f90 »

Welcome to Debian and Linux world!

It's true that the installation process for a newcomer is not an easy one for Debian because 1) who is not discouraged facing a 118 pages install guide and 2) the default net-install iso does not offer a simple installation process in comparison with the Calamers installer which is used in the live-iso and 3) the live-iso is kinda buried in links whereas it should be immediately accessible as the net-inst.

I think there should be in the Downloads page clearly two options 1)net-inst 2)live-iso. There is no reason for a website to be build like a mailing list and visitors have to dig deep in order to find all the available options, imho it's not newbie friendly.

Aside these issues though the Debian experience is great for both a newcomer and an experienced user.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Hallvor »

There are tons of guides online, but there is also a lot of bad advice. If you can't install Debian, watch a YouTube video.

This is also excellent:
https://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals

Debian will install a basic system, and expects the user to know what do do next. If you want instant gratification without having to learn anything, there are better options out there.

This is written for Buster, but should also work for Bullseye:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=145500
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD