Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Bullseye with KDE takes +9 seconds to shut down.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Xeno Idaltu

Bullseye with KDE takes +9 seconds to shut down.

#1 Post by Xeno Idaltu »

I recently upgraded from Buster to Bullseye and I missed how instantly fast Buster would shut down with my SSD.

Bullseye is giving me a headache. I fixed an Intel WiFi that was taking minutes for Debian to finally shut down.

I still have an issue because now it still takes +9 seconds to finally shut down.

I checked my logs and this is what I found:
Failed to receive portal pid: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get PID of name 'org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop': no such name

It looks like it's a problem with Pipewire. it was automatically installed with kde-desktop-plasma

mm3100

Re: Bullseye with KDE takes +9 seconds to shut down.

#2 Post by mm3100 »

You don't really need pipewire to have KDE running, and that bug has been reported already. I had hopes it would be fixed by time Bullseye is out. You can try to remove pipewire and see how it changes shutdown. I think it was only installed as it was needed to get screen capture in wayland session. If you are using Xorg it should be of no issue without it.

Xeno Idaltu

#3 Post by Xeno Idaltu »

I removed Pipewire and also added file /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf because there's a bug issue with Intel WiFi cards that apparently has been fixed in the upstream kernel but not on Bullseye according to some Debian users.

After fixing these two issues I no longer get any errors when running the journal:
sudo journalctl -p 3 -xb

But even after these fixes my system still takes seconds to log out. Sometimes when restarting or shutting down I get this messege that gets me stuck there for minutes:
/dev/sda2: clean xxx/xxx files, xxx/xxx blocks

I checked everything and I think I finally know what is going on. kde-plasma-desktop automatically installed kdeconnect, a suggested package, during my minimal installation.

I'm not sure if KDE Connect is conflicting with the already issue of Intel WIfi cards constantly telling us there's an error because it's not "installed".

I removed KDE Connect and it's been a positive outcome. Restarting, Shutting Down, and Logging Out are now instant.

I might have to keep it this way until the next kernel update..

This has been the most frustrating installation on Debian I've ever had.

Another annoying issue is that KDE Developers are pushing us their Wayland bloatware. Not everyone is interested in Wayland and so I find it annoying that the simple task of removing a Wayland package removes almost the entire KDE system because it's part of kde-plasma-desktop.

mm3100

#4 Post by mm3100 »

Wayland is not bloatware, if anything it should use less CPU and RAM compared to Xorg. I was using Wayland for some time on Bullseye and system seemed more responsive and log in/out as well, only issue being that it didn't work well, it wasn't ready yet. By next Debian release Wayland should be finally ready and I would recommend you to try it out.