Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New printer form app/browsers, imposition...

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
keos

New printer form app/browsers, imposition...

#1 Post by keos »

Hi all,

The latest updates of different browsers have now brought a built-in application to make copies/prints of documents, although they give the option to use the one that has the operating system.

To my poor understanding if we are in Linux is because we want to have the initiative, the browser should not "impose" that I make the copy with / from the new graphical application of them thus avoiding the alternative of having the primacy of using the one provided by the operating system relegating this to the background.

Having explained all of the above ... :o :roll:

How can I revert the process and have the option to use only the print route that gives me the operating system independent of this new graphic in the browsers to "print from them" ... ? :!:

Thanks for any ideas, help.
Last edited by keos on 2021-09-06 08:07, edited 1 time in total.
Quad Core Intel Core i5-8265U
Model: 0WHCP7 UEFI: Dell v: 1.5.1

Debian 12 'bookworm'
Desktop: xfce4-panel 4.18.2

PrivatePearoak

Re: New printer form app/browsers, limitation ...

#2 Post by PrivatePearoak »

Hello there!

Can you attach a screenshot of an example of it for us? You're talking about a GUI that shows when you want to print or create a PDF of a web page, is that it? Such as one of the images i've attached on my thread?

The first image is the printer GUI with the keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+P) (which is the OS one), the second one is the printer GUI when i went to Firefox menu and chose "Print".

As far as i could tell, it seems more a browser feature than the OS per se. Use the keyboard shortcut instead. It won't SOLVE the issue, but at least you can keep using the OS GUI with it.

I apologize if i misunderstood, as english is not my native language.
Attachments
sample2.png
sample2.png (24.96 KiB) Viewed 3522 times
sample1.png
sample1.png (90.9 KiB) Viewed 3522 times

keos

#3 Post by keos »

Debian 12 'bookworm'

keos

#4 Post by keos »

This is another browser, Chromium, with the 'new GUI' that also comes out after applying Ctrl + P -- only with Palemoon and Waterfox it do not happen (perhaps they have not yet been 'modernized').
Captura de pantalla_2021-09-05_03-05-57.png
Captura de pantalla_2021-09-05_03-05-57.png (170.04 KiB) Viewed 3444 times

Debian 12 'bookworm'

PrivatePearoak

#5 Post by PrivatePearoak »

Hey there!

I tried to use on Chromium and the same thing that has happened to you happened to me. I guess it's a browser feature then. However, this doesn't happen on Firefox for me (at least with Ctrl+P).
Hmmmm... It most certainly seems that are features of the browser.

keos

#6 Post by keos »

It happened to me with Firefox-esr and of course the main problem are with the browsers, but it is very strange to me that the OS "obey" following what these browsers are imposing.

Firefox-ESR comes by default in my debian-11 (this time installed without the privativies) that seems very good, but when i start the configuration the first thing i see is that it is the "default browser", the main browser, the predeterminated, and I do not It liked that ...

But it is even worse, when I tried from the terminal with the commands to put another browser by default, it (the system) did not obey, when I checked with the verify/command, I got that the browser I changed is now the one by default in the system, but it is not true, Firefox still been the one by default, I realize about this matter because when I am going to print something it is Firefox who responds with 'its GUI' and also it continues to keep in its configuration as the default browser.

Conclusion Firefox-ESR uninstalled.

Then it's not just the Browser ... Why Debian allow this to happen?

Greetings.

EDIT:

Code: Select all

update-alternatives --list x-www-browser

update-alternatives --config x-www-browser

xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/https
chromium.desktop
Last edited by keos on 2021-09-06 08:06, edited 1 time in total.

Debian 12 'bookworm'

arzgi

#7 Post by arzgi »

https://wiki.debian.org/SystemPrinting

Some how seems you are trying to do things much too complicate.

For me printing from Firefox(-esr) has never been any issue, Ctrl-p works, can print from terminal also.

keos

#8 Post by keos »

I am not "trying" to complicate any matter, I only inform about what is happening, those who are in charge should take it into account, it is their matter, :| for me with not using Firefox is enough, I have other options like Palemoon that does not have any GUI-printer. :)

Something else, when I uninstalled Firefox-esr it continues to come as a new update constantly, I must use the command to retain-package updates ...

I have not doubt that Debian is committed to this issue, does it sound unpleasant?. Sorry. 8)

EDIT:

I forgot, my question still without answer, any developer ...?:
How can I revert the process and have the option to use only the print route that gives me the operating system independent of this new graphic in the browsers to "print from them" ... ? :!:

Debian 12 'bookworm'

arzgi

Re: New printer form app/browsers, imposition...

#9 Post by arzgi »

Can you print at all, from any 'app'?

What is the make and model of your printer?

I assume it is a usb printer, when you put t on, open terminal and post the output of command

lsusb
No answer to your question, but if the printer is not configured right, it surely can't print from any gui programan.

PrivatePearoak

#10 Post by PrivatePearoak »

The funny thing is when i press Ctrl+P, it shows the OS default Printer GUI, i wonder why is yours different. :x
I'm not sure if that changes much, but i didn't use a live install like you did. I used a netinstall ISO and installed everything i want/need by terminal, even the DE i'm using right now (XFCE).

If that's the case, then, it could be a browser plugin that came your live install maybe?

arzgi

#11 Post by arzgi »

PrivatePearoak wrote: 2021-09-06 15:40 The funny thing is when i press Ctrl+P, it shows the OS default Printer GUI, i wonder why is yours different. :x
I'm not sure if that changes much, but i didn't use a live install like you did. I used a netinstall ISO and installed everything i want/need by terminal, even the DE i'm using right now (XFCE).
Same here, I did netinstall and use xfce, but despite the way Debian is installed, it should really not be difficult to get printer working. I already linked Debian wikis's printer setup page.

To the OP, palemoon is not in the repo. so if you keep doing that will not help you at all. Maybe time to reinstall.

keos

#12 Post by keos »

My printer?. I have never talked about an exterior printer.

I assume that there is a communication problem, that you are not wanting to evade the issue.

I will put some captures with different browsers after applying CTRL + P and this ended the matter.

Any way i already uninstall Firefox and Brave, and Chromium just still there for to show peoples what is happening and about what GUI i'm talking here from the beginig.

About to reinstall ... if the system crash for second time, there are many others ...

Chromium es the first capture, then Falkon and the last one is Palemoon.

The first capture is the one that is coming with all the new updated Browsers, Firefox, Brave, Chromium, Vivaldi only the less updated do not have such a "new imposition" ...

Greetings.

Captura de pantalla_2021-09-06_16-47-41.png
Captura de pantalla_2021-09-06_16-47-41.png (160.14 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
Captura de pantalla_2021-09-06_16-51-46.png
Captura de pantalla_2021-09-06_16-51-46.png (68.31 KiB) Viewed 3327 times
Attachments
Captura de pantalla_2021-09-06_16-52-48.png
Captura de pantalla_2021-09-06_16-52-48.png (78.47 KiB) Viewed 3327 times

Debian 12 'bookworm'

arzgi

#13 Post by arzgi »

keos wrote: 2021-09-06 21:18 My printer?. I have never talked about an exterior printer.
Then rephrase the header. I have no clue what you are trying to achieve, good luck!

keos

#14 Post by keos »

I do not think they will be allowed to rewrite it, I would have to write:

Debian & Firefox & Gens una Sumus :x

Debian 12 'bookworm'

PrivatePearoak

#15 Post by PrivatePearoak »

arzgi wrote: 2021-09-07 16:34
keos wrote: 2021-09-06 21:18 My printer?. I have never talked about an exterior printer.
Then rephrase the header. I have no clue what you are trying to achieve, good luck!
Greetings, mate!

By what i could tell, Keos' problem is on the Print GUI that browsers show, which, instead of using the OS default one, uses the browser embedded one. Being that said, he wants to know if there's a way of using the OS GUI by default instead of browser one.

I tried to look on the settings of the browsers i use and i couldn't find anything related to printing documents.

keos

#16 Post by keos »

That is exactly what I am saying/showing (with captures included) you put it in different words ... when it is not convenient to understand something ...

Debian is clearly involved on this, but they do not want to recognize it, somehow they are allowing it to happen, I am not an expert but neither silly.

The only "solution" i found it was to uninstall Firefox and Chromium. I installed Palemoon and Waterfox, it do not happen with them ...

EDIT:

And even so, when wanting to verify, I get this ... (?)

keos@keos-inspiron3583:~$ xdg-mime query default x-scheme-handler/https
xfce4-web-browser.desktop
keos@keos-inspiron3583:~$ 

Debian 12 'bookworm'