Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian sid vs stable

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Debian sid vs stable

#21 Post by sunrat »

cynwulf wrote: 2021-10-15 07:07 sunrat, wizard10000,
I'm with you on this, but I disagree with setting rules and fixed boundaries. We all experimented with these set ups back in the day - and new users should be encouraged to do the same where possible.
We get many posts from people using development releases who don't understand they are not designed as rolling releases and don't understand the degree of management required to use them in that role. They need to know about life with eternal upgrades and occasional breakage. I try to only advise though, they can do whatever they like. :wink:
I would also argue that mixing in testing is not "pointless", even if it's seldom needed. If it gets you out of a particular hole "once in a blue moon" it isn't pointless.
I stick by what I said which was "mainly pointless". In 14 years of running Sid I only ever used one package from testing iirc. Happy with Bullseye now though so enjoying a life of calm.
p.s. good to see you both still here.
Glad you're back too. 8)
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!