Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

pipewire : Failed to receive portal pid: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner:

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
MikeLieberman

pipewire : Failed to receive portal pid: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner:

#1 Post by MikeLieberman »

In a new / fresh / clean bullseye install (non-free) iso.

I am getting this regarding pipewire:

Failed to receive portal pid: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get PID of name 'org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop': no such name
http://ndevor.netwright.net/pipewire.png

What information do you need me to show you to help in resolving this. Why is it happening and what can be done to resolve it?

bw123

Re: pipewire : Failed to receive portal pid: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner:

#2 Post by bw123 »

I serached for the error msg, this is what you should have done first:

Have you tried installing pkgs described in this answer?
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=149398&sid=46eeb922 ... 7978965298

Did you look in pipewire wiki?
https://wiki.debian.org/PipeWire

Did you check bug reports?
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo ... t=unstable

When/If you solve it, please report back to make your thread useful for others, thanks.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

MikeLieberman

Re: pipewire : Failed to receive portal pid: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner:

#3 Post by MikeLieberman »

Yes I did see that first URL but that references upgrade issues. I am a clean install.

See:
root@Traveler:~# apt install -s pipewire
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
pipewire is already the newest version (0.3.19-4).
pipewire set to manually installed.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
root@Traveler:~#

Yes I looked at the Wiki. No help.

The bug reports you reference are for the UNSTABLE version. I am running a STABLE version.

I checked for the Stable version and, no, there are bug reports regarding this.
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgrepo ... ist=stable

bw123

#4 Post by bw123 »

Maybe something got out of whack when you were running 'sudo su' commands to fix the other problem?
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=150187&sid=3549af6 ... a82e464c11

I found this searching for 'portal pid: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner:'
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=262066

Hope it helps.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

MikeLieberman

#5 Post by MikeLieberman »

Looking at the logs, this problem has been there since the install, so I doubt the issue with the VBox is related, and I have not tried to fix the Synaptic issue as I am not skilled enough to understand how to deal with it.

As to the issue in the ArchLinux link , pipewire-pulse.service is not installed and it evidently can't be because org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner

Arch uses pacman and debian uses apt. Apt says pipewire is fully installed so I don't see how the pacman in the suggests line advances anything.

The service is not running:

Code: Select all

mike@Traveler:~$ systemctl --user status pipewire-pulse.service
Unit pipewire-pulse.service could not be found.
mike@Traveler:~$ su -
Password:
root@Traveler:~# systemctl --user status pipewire-pulse.service
Failed to connect to bus: $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS and $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not defined (consider using --machine=<user>@.host --user to connect to bus of other user)
Nor can I make it run.

So setting up the socket as described in in the link fails in both su - and user.

root@Traveler:~# systemctl --user enable pipewire.socket pipewire-pulse.socket
Failed to connect to bus: $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS and $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not defined (consider using --machine=<user>@.host --user to connect to bus of other user)
root@Traveler:~# exit
logout
mike@Traveler:~$ systemctl --user enable pipewire.socket pipewire-pulse.socket
Failed to enable unit: Unit file pipewire-pulse.socket does not exist.
mike@Traveler:~$
Am I the only person who is having this problem?

MikeLieberman

#6 Post by MikeLieberman »

So some parts of org.freedesktop load OK but there are two notable failures.

Sep 10 15:35:00 Traveler dbus-daemon[563]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.resolve1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service' requested by ':1.12' (uid=0 pid=564 comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon ")
Sep 10 15:35:00 Traveler dbus-daemon[563]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service not found.
Sep 10 15:35:23 Traveler dbus-daemon[1242]: [session uid=1000 pid=1242] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.portal.Documents' unit='xdg-document-portal.service' requested by ':1.35' (uid=1000 pid=1474 comm="/usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal ")
Sep 10 15:35:23 Traveler systemd[1123]: Starting flatpak document portal service...
Sep 10 15:35:23 Traveler dbus-daemon[1242]: [session uid=1000 pid=1242] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.impl.portal.PermissionStore' unit='xdg-permission-store.service' requested by ':1.36' (uid=1000 pid=1505 comm="/usr/libexec/xdg-document-portal ")
Sep 10 15:35:23 Traveler dbus-daemon[1242]: [session uid=1000 pid=1242] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.impl.portal.PermissionStore'
Sep 10 15:35:23 Traveler systemd[1123]: Started sandboxed app permission store.
Sep 10 15:35:23 Traveler dbus-daemon[1242]: [session uid=1000 pid=1242] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.portal.Documents'
Sep 10 15:35:23 Traveler systemd[1123]: Started flatpak document portal service.
Sep 10 15:35:24 Traveler dbus-daemon[1242]: [session uid=1000 pid=1242] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.gtk' unit='xdg-desktop-portal-gtk.service' requested by ':1.35' (uid=1000 pid=1474 comm="/usr/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal ")
Sep 10 15:35:26 Traveler dbus-daemon[1242]: [session uid=1000 pid=1242] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.gtk'
xdg-desktop-por[1474]: Failed to get application states: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.portal.Error.Failed: Could not get window list

MikeLieberman

#7 Post by MikeLieberman »

I don't know enough about all this but these lines have me scratching my head.

Sep 10 15:35:00 Traveler dbus-daemon[563]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.resolve1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service' requested by ':1.12' (uid=0 pid=564 comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon ")
Sep 10 15:35:00 Traveler dbus-daemon[563]: [system] Activation via systemd failed for unit 'dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service': Unit dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service not found.

Is the --no-daemon " on the first line in error?

craigevil

#8 Post by craigevil »

Make sure you have pipewire-pulse installed.

For the network-manager and the last dbus error take a look at:
https://superuser.com/questions/1427311 ... e1-service
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

Victor Brand

#9 Post by Victor Brand »

Try installing the xdg-desktop-portal package.

Shamak

#10 Post by Shamak »

MikeLieberman wrote: 2021-09-10 01:46 Am I the only person who is having this problem?
I'm also on a fresh install of Bullseye. I also get the error

pipewire[913]: Failed to receive portal pid: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get PID of name 'org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop': no such name
when I run

sudo journalctl -p 3 -b
I also get

$ systemctl --user status pipewire-pulse.service
Unit pipewire-pulse.service could not be found.

# systemctl --user status pipewire-pulse.service
using su - to login as root.

ulefr01

#11 Post by ulefr01 »

I have this same problem :
pipewire[1643]: Failed to receive portal pid: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get PID of name 'org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop': no such name
any help ?

seeker5528

#12 Post by seeker5528 »

In addition to xdg-desktop-portal make sure you have dbus-user-session installed, dbus-user-session is the default dependency when xdg-desktop-portal gets installed, but if for some reason you already had dbus-x11 that also satisfies the dependency so dbus-user-session would not get pulled in.

There is a bug report that looks like the same issue that provides this information.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=982853

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by sunrat »

Wow, 2 threads on the same day about the same non-issue.
Bullseye doesn't use Pipewire as default so that message is only informational and is inconsequential.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

seeker5528

#14 Post by seeker5528 »

MikeLieberman wrote: 2021-09-10 01:46 So setting up the socket as described in in the link fails in both su - and user.

root@Traveler:~# systemctl --user enable pipewire.socket pipewire-pulse.socket
root@Traveler:~# exit
logout
mike@Traveler:~$ systemctl --user enable pipewire.socket pipewire-pulse.socket
Failed to enable unit: Unit file pipewire-pulse.socket does not exist.
mike@Traveler:~$
re-reading the thread I noticed this, the .socket should not be there it should be:

as your regular user

systemctl --user --now enable pipewire pipewire-pulse

seeker5528

#15 Post by seeker5528 »

MikeLieberman wrote: 2021-09-10 07:44 So some parts of org.freedesktop load OK but there are two notable failures.

xdg-desktop-por[1474]: Failed to get application states: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.portal.Error.Failed: Could not get window list
Don't know about dbus-org.freedesktop.resolve1.service, but this one

xdg-desktop-por[1474]: Failed to get application states: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.portal.Error.Failed: Could not get window list[

I have this in my logs and as far as I can tell it's not an issue.

JeSuisFlaneur

#16 Post by JeSuisFlaneur »

I am seeing odd pixilation and mismeasured screen size (as in 1080x760). When I read my logs, this message comes in under

Security

Sender: pipewire

Time: 8:13:00 AM

Message:  Failed to receive portal pid: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NameHasNoOwner: Could not get PID of name 'org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop': no such name

Audit Session 3
Priority 3
---

Separately, my BIOS is not keeping accurate time. Yes new CR2032 CMOS battery installed. But the odd thing of this is, the time is always wrong by 1. only hours and 2. by 8 hours every time. I include this, as full disclosure.