Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Switching from Windows for the HTPC

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Curator

Switching from Windows for the HTPC

#1 Post by Curator »

Hello

First post.

I have some specific questions from what I've read so far about Linux.
I've never used it before so not quite sure how it works / what happens or even if it's suitable.

I have two (Windows) computers and usually transfer data between them using LAN.
Will Linux and Windows play nicely together for transferring files between shared hard drives?

I use Plex (use the app on the TV).
We usually just turn HTPC on and within a few minutes, we're able to access our home videos.
Can I install Plex on Debian?

Boot times for Linux - what's the average?
My Windows box takes around 30/60 seconds.

I'm sorry I can't give any specifics about the system. I'm pretty sure it's an Intel CPU but there's nothing special about the PC as it just plays movies and that's it. On board sound, uses a cheapy graphics card (no fans) as I needed HDMI out.
Basically I'm just wondering if using Linux would be better (quicker) for me to get to Plex faster. I rarely "see" the Windows environment and I know the current motherboard doesn't have TPU so upgrading it to Windows 11 is a dead end unless I replace motherboard (yes, I know support for Win 10 will be around for years and I know I could probably get around it but I see all that as delaying the inevitable).

Thanks for any help.

zwab

Re: Switching from Windows for the HTPC

#2 Post by zwab »

Shared hard drive as in two OS on one drive? In my experience Windows is usually the troublemaker in this scenario. I think the general rule is install Windows first then GNU/Linux. Shared hard drive as in removable media? Never had an issue.

The plex download page has a media server version for Debian 8+, but nothing under "apps & devices". I've never used plex so I can't really say on this. https://knapsu.eu/plex/ looks like it might be what you're looking for.

Startup finished in 8.088s (kernel) + 6.654s (userspace) = 14.742s
graphical.target reached after 6.634s in userspace

Your best bet is probably to try GNU/Linux in a VM on Windows before installing it on bare metal.