Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

encrypt and backup

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
DebUs

encrypt and backup

#1 Post by DebUs »

Hi everyone!
I want to keep encrypted my documents on home's Note and I want them backup on regular basis (of cause all files suppose to be encrypt forms on backup).
How most convenient way to do this ?
Do I have to use different two application for this or there is a single application ?

I want free and stable open source software from legal repo. And for keeping backup I planning use SSD drive.

How you usually do it ?

Islander

Re: encrypt and backup

#2 Post by Islander »

This solution is very simple and uses stable software from the standard repo:
  1. Format your internal drive with full disk encryption (LUKS)
  2. Format your SSD with LUKS
  3. Copy your files to your SSD using rsync
E.g, this command copies your Documents folder to a disk named ExternalSSD.

Code: Select all

rsync -av --delete /home/me/Documents /media/me/ExternalSSD
Using eCryptfs to encrypt your home folders is no longer recommended, due to security issues.

DebUs

Re: encrypt and backup

#3 Post by DebUs »

My disk is split on 2 parts. One is with system and second for Home folder. I think to format LUKS only Home partition.

Is it secure to do in such way ?
Maybe I have to format system partition also ?
What if some meta information is saves in system partition like keys for encryption ?

What if I want just encrypt particular folder let say "documents" inside Home folder. Is it possible with LUKS ?

Thanks!