Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

question about installing veracrypt

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
djf123

question about installing veracrypt

#1 Post by djf123 »

I have the latest version of Debian, and I was trying to install VeraCrypt. So I went to the Synaptic Package Manager and clicked search and typed in "veracrypt" looking in description and name. But nothing that showed the name VeraCrypt showed up. Why is that?

So that didn't work so I googled "how to install veracrypt" and found instructions at https://vitux.com/how-to-encrypt-linux- ... debian-10/. I followed the instructions and the installation worked. However, when I tried to mount something it asks for my admin password. I'm assuming this is not kosher. Why would it be doing this and how do I stop it from doing this? Will I have to install TrueCrypt instead? And if so how would I install it?

craigevil

Re: question about installing veracrypt

#2 Post by craigevil »

It needs the root/sudo password because it has to be root in order to encrypt anything.
Raspberry PI 400 Distro: Raspberry Pi OS Base: Debian Sid Kernel: 5.15.69-v8+ aarch64 DE: MATE Ram 4GB
Debian - "If you can't apt install something, it isn't useful or doesn't exist"
My Giant Sources.list

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: question about installing veracrypt

#3 Post by cds60601 »

There are other ways to encrypt a drive that you have mounted. I guess some questions are needed such as;
1. Is this a Flash drive
2. Is this an SSD/NVME drive?

Depending on the answer, there is a "native" way to encrypt a drive that would be considered more stationary. It could also work for flash drive too but a bit more clunky.
If interested, investigate cryptsetup and LUKS
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious