Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Installing Windows 10 on an other hard disk alongside Debian GNU/Linux

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Sadrax

Installing Windows 10 on an other hard disk alongside Debian GNU/Linux

#1 Post by Sadrax »

Hi,
I've got a serious problem. I've got a SSD disk (128 [GiB], /dev/sda) and a HDD disk (1 [TB], /dev/sdb). My Debian is installed on /dev/sda1 and I've got a partition of 500 [GiB] on the second disk (/dev/sdb1 ext4). I want to have Windows 10 on the rest of the HDD, but I don't know if it will work. If I install W10 on the second partition (HDD), will I be able to run W10 alongside Debian? Down there are two links on Imgur, which represent my disks on Gparted. I'll be grateful if somebody helps me :D .

https://imgur.com/a/jX2prb4
https://imgur.com/a/oWZa29U

peter_irich

Re: Installing Windows 10 on an other hard disk alongside Debian GNU/Linux

#2 Post by peter_irich »

For Linux no difference on which disk be, but for Windows it is simply be on sda.
I would prefer turn on HDD like sda and SDD like sdb, boot Linux by any way and run

Code: Select all

grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
Peter.

Sadrax

#3 Post by Sadrax »

peter_irich wrote: 2021-09-22 09:11 For Linux no difference on which disk be, but for Windows it is simply be on sda.
I would prefer turn on HDD like sda and SDD like sdb, boot Linux by any way and run

Code: Select all

grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
Peter.
How do I change HDD to /dev/sda and SDD to /dev/sdb?

peter_irich

#4 Post by peter_irich »

If both disks works by SATA, you can just to change its cables.

Peter.

Sadrax

#5 Post by Sadrax »

When I change the SATA cables and install W10 on HDD (now the /dev/sda2), do I have to install GRUB on the disk with W10?

peter_irich

#6 Post by peter_irich »

If you will boot in Linux and will have been enter the two commands from above, grub will be installed in /dev/sda
and /boot/grub/grub.cfg on Linux will be contain entry with Windows. I never had was use os-prober for this.

Peter.

seeker5528

#7 Post by seeker5528 »

Personally I don't worry about what ports the drives are plugged into. And if I have both drives unplugged and other storage drives, they don't always get plugged back in on the same ports they were on when the were unplugged.

Usually I leave my Linux drive unplugged when I install Windows and leave the Windows drive unplugged when I install Linux. Then either change the boot order in the bios or use the boot menu key to select which drive I want to boot, which is 'F9' on my motherboard, but not all motherboards use the same key for that. I don't really pay attention to whether Windows got added to the Grub boot menu after that.

If I just want to boot into Windows and not worry about updates I will hit 'F9' and select the Windows drive. If I know there are Patch Tuesday updates which might include some big roll up and I want to take the time to let those install, then I go into the bios and set the Windows drive as the preferred hard drive to boot from.

Windows for multiple versions now always recognizes the drive it is installed on as C: so drives being moved around don't really cause problems for Windows like it used to do, unless there is some rare weird set of circumstances.