Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Problems with 'youtube-dl'

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
keos

Problems with 'youtube-dl'

#1 Post by keos »

Hello,

It seems that I am omitting of installing some component in the system, 'youtube-dl' was taken as 45 mts to download a single song / video. Can someone indicate where could be the problem ...?

Thank for any advice.
Quad Core Intel Core i5-8265U
Model: 0WHCP7 UEFI: Dell v: 1.5.1

Debian 12 'bookworm'
Desktop: xfce4-panel 4.18.2

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Problems with 'youtube-dl'

#2 Post by sunrat »

keos wrote: 2021-10-15 18:09It seems that I am omitting of installing some component in the system, 'youtube-dl' was taken as 45 mts to download a single song / video. Can someone indicate where could be the problem ...?
Youtube change their API regularly seemingly just to break youtube-dl which usually is updated subsequently to fix said breakage. I read somewhere about the current download throttling. The current version is over 4 months old so hopefully it is fixed soon.
In the meantime try yt-dlp. You'll have to look it up yourself.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

keos

#3 Post by keos »

Well, thank you, I thought it was something related to my system, there are no problems. No, yt-dlp is not on my Synaptic, maybe because I do not have the private repos installed ...
Quad Core Intel Core i5-8265U
Model: 0WHCP7 UEFI: Dell v: 1.5.1

Debian 12 'bookworm'
Desktop: xfce4-panel 4.18.2

thatguychuck

#4 Post by thatguychuck »

IIRC Google has implemented some throttling on their end, I'm not sure what triggers it or if there is a workaround. I have noticed a slowdown as well.

NorthEast

#5 Post by NorthEast »

Some info in this thread may be interest on this issue:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=150430

45 minutes to download a song sounds like a problem.

Northpoint

#6 Post by Northpoint »

I have found that yt-dlp is working at a high download rate. When I used youtube-dl it is very slow in the k's of speed. yt-dlp seems to have overcome that.

Just to take it a bit further, I am running the mate desktop with caja file manager. I wanted to use a GUI for downloading. However, I really do not like all the bells and whistles that come with some of the front ends. So, I made a script and put it in my scripts folder for downloading videos / songs. So, I just click on the share button for the video and then open up caja and go to where I want to save it. Then right click and run script. Works the treat.

Script:

Code: Select all

# Youtube-dl script for caja. 
# If you modify then be sure to share :)
# Copy from clipboard
share=`xsel -ob`
# currently 3gp, aac, flv, m4a, mp3, mp4, ogg, wav, webm are supported
cd $CAJA_SCRIPT_CURRENT_URI
mate-terminal --command "yt-dlp -f mp4 $share"
I installed xsel from repo to get this to work. xsel grabs the url from your clipboard.

Have a great day.
Get your linux on.

stevepusser

#7 Post by stevepusser »

Latest update update: these packages work and also provide a dropin replacement for youtube-dl for programs that want a system version, such as mpv:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fdIOUB ... sp=sharing
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've managed to package the current youtube-dlp 2021.10.10 starting from the 2021.09.02 version in debian salsa. mmmm...salsa....

Anyway, mx19 is the buster version and mx21 is the bullseye.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vum-Lo ... sp=sharing

I've tried to have it be a dropin replacement by having it replace and provide youtube-dl, as well as symlinking i.

Anyway, there are also updated GUIs that can download and use internal versions of youtube-dlp, such as clipgrab 3.9.7, smplayer 20.08.0.9999, and a patched version of Qmplay2 that I've just done for MX 19 and 21, but none of those are in Debian.

Upstream Debian has youtubedl-gui, so I'll investigate if I can backport that with any fixes.

Looks like youtubedl-gui has the issue raised on github four days ago, but hasn't had a response. Maybe the symlink will work from my package of youtube-dlp???
Last edited by stevepusser on 2021-10-21 23:04, edited 3 times in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

stevepusser wrote: 2021-10-20 23:19 I've managed to package the current youtube-dlp
Isn't it called yt-dlp? Or did you rename your package?
https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp

I just installed it with pip3 anyway. Just as easy as apt.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

Whoops, I did keep the yt-dlp package name, and you'll have no problems if you just install that package, but I'll have to have the dummy youtube-dl package depend on the correct name to ensure a smooth transition if we do move it to MX main. Thanks for catching that.

The yt-dlp deb should remove the older youtube-dl if installed with apt or a similar smart tool, not dpkg.

stevepusser

#10 Post by stevepusser »

OK, it was the dummy youtube-dl transitional package that made trouble, so that's removed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mbYBuC ... sp=sharing

stevepusser

#11 Post by stevepusser »

and that had parsing issues--maybe these will work: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fdIOUB ... sp=sharing

Bulkley

#12 Post by Bulkley »

stevepusser wrote: 2021-10-21 23:05 and that had parsing issues--maybe these will work: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fdIOUB ... sp=sharing
Thanks for all your efforts on this, stevepusser. This latest version, yt-dlp_2021.10.10-1~mx21+4_all.deb, works well on a Bullseye VM.

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

Yeah, we'll probably move it into MX main. I mashed up the deb-multimedia build structure with the older one from Debian salsa, plus some updated patches, and had it provide and replace the older busted youtube-dl as well as symlink it so older programs that want a system youtube-dl can use this instead. Somehow it all worked this time. I tested it with mpv and it worked with the higher speeds again. I'm pretty sure the commands are backwards compatible, though I know yt-dlp adds more options.

maxb

#14 Post by maxb »

In my limited experience with youtube-dl, Video DownloadHelper for Firefox works much better (also it works for all sites), and is much easier to use. Too bad its Chrome version is not allowed to download youtube.

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

I also just built from git a development version of SMTube which will first check for a system yt-dlp, then get and use its own version if it can't find it. Then if you choose VLC as the player, VLC gets a "good" URL from SMTube which allows for nice playback instead of the 2000's DSL speeds.

http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/s/smtube/

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Yt-dlp versions for bullseye are also available from deb-multimedia, or more closely to Debian, Unit 193's OBS repo: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... 193/yt-dlp

maxb

#17 Post by maxb »

Seriously, have any of you tried Video DownloadHelper? I'm not shilling: it already has 2M users, a few more wouldn't make a difference. Also I think it's open-source (more or less): the "companion app" is on GitHub, and the plugin itself is in JavaScript (so you can read the source).

It just seems wrong to me to design software to only work with a specific set of web sites (that it can't keep up with) instead of designing it so that it would work with any of them.

P.S. The name is unfortunate. Why is "DownloadHelper" spelled together, but "Video" is spelled separately? I'm OCD, so I go with the "correct" spelling, but I don't like it.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Post by sunrat »

maxb wrote: 2021-10-25 22:49 Seriously, have any of you tried Video DownloadHelper?
Yes, used to use it in Windows years ago.
Sure it worked fine but I prefer youtube-dl, now yt-dlp. It works on a lot of sites and has a plethora of options for special use cases. And it is scriptable so is used as a backend in SMtube, Clipgrab and others.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

stevepusser

#19 Post by stevepusser »

sunrat wrote: 2021-10-26 04:28
maxb wrote: 2021-10-25 22:49 Seriously, have any of you tried Video DownloadHelper?
Yes, used to use it in Windows years ago.
Sure it worked fine but I prefer youtube-dl, now yt-dlp. It works on a lot of sites and has a plethora of options for special use cases. And it is scriptable so is used as a backend in SMtube, Clipgrab and others.
Yes, I use it, but I find that it asks you to also install a separate deb package to get it to work. Plus I use it if mostly if Clipgrab can't grab a file. VDH does work to grab mp3 files that a site wants me to sit still for like a potato and stream--I still have a cheapo mp3 player that I load them on.

I basically copied Unit 93's build for yt-dlp from the OBS, but also had it replace, remove, and provide youtube-dl, which works because I symlinked /usr/bin/youtube-dl to /usr/bin/yt-dlp.