Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] A Debian small live ISO to get Systemback from gitHub

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
keos

[Solved] A Debian small live ISO to get Systemback from gitHub

#1 Post by keos »

Hi,

I will like to know how to find in Debian a small live ISO, (1GB) the one i see for xfce4 is 2.3GB.

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

Thanks you very much.
Last edited by keos on 2021-10-18 16:53, edited 2 times in total.
Quad Core Intel Core i5-8265U
Model: 0WHCP7 UEFI: Dell v: 1.5.1

Debian 12 'bookworm'
Desktop: xfce4-panel 4.18.2

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: A Debian small live ISO?

#2 Post by p.H »

What about the "standard" live image (930 MB) ?

keos

#3 Post by keos »

I was looking only for xfce4, but because your question now i think that this 'standard' is giving options to xfce4, is it right?. :?

Debian 12 'bookworm'

keos

#4 Post by keos »

Well, I decided to see what that 'standard' is and I just installed it.

It comes without desktop, browsers, etc, which I thought was great, but as soon as I installed xfce4 [apt install xfce4] the system goes up to 4.15 GB. What was added to the installation? 3GB for just the desktop? I don't understand.

I remember years ago it was easy to get an 800 MB iso with a desktop and a browser, without getting so overloaded.

Besides, it doesn't work for me, I need something that doesn't exceed 3GB max including of course, desktop and a browser.

Should I look for another ISO or did I do something wrong in the xfce4 installation?

Thank you.

Debian 12 'bookworm'

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

keos wrote: 2021-10-17 14:15 Well, I decided to see what that 'standard' is and I just installed it.

It comes without desktop, browsers, etc, which I thought was great, but as soon as I installed xfce4 [apt install xfce4] the system goes up to 4.15 GB. What was added to the installation? 3GB for just the desktop? I don't understand.
The .iso is highly compressed so when you install it, it is uncompressed.
If you actually want to install it, use a netinstall image which is ~400MB. Maybe it will come under 3GB after installation. Or pick and choose which Xfce packages you want rather than installing the complete xfce4 metapackage.
Xfce is not a lightweight desktop these days particularly after its transition to GTK3. You could use a lighter desktop like LXQt, or just a window manager like Openbox.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

keos

#6 Post by keos »

There was no big difference with Lxde, 4.5GB, including of course a browser ...

And I don't know whether to try netinstall, years ago with those 400MB it didn't even recognize the networks and I don't think I'll be able today to do it ...

Thanks.

Debian 12 'bookworm'

keos

#7 Post by keos »

Hi,

A blogger from Spain mentioned a little-known tool to copy the whole system to a live usb and be able to have it on a pendrive for when you travel, whatever ...

This tool in question is called Systemback, the only limitation apparently is that it does not copy more than 4GB (Could someone from Debian do something to modify this limitation?).

- - As a last alternative I went back again to netinstall to see if I could install the system and to my surprise, the 400MB now can recognizes the networks, and i was able to install it without any problem.

The Spanish Blog where he explains how to install Systemback and its functionality (it is very simple !!), is here, with the Google translator):

https://comoserdebianitaynomorirenelint ... tr_pto=nui

Code: Select all

sudo aptitude install git linux-headers - $ (uname -r) build-essential
git clone https://github.com/fconidi/systemback-install_pack-1.9.4.git
cd systemback-install_pack-1.9.4 / 
chmod + x install.sh 
sudo ./install.sh   {in my case it gave me a kind of error and "i fixed" it by adding: --allow-unauthenticated at the end}
I followed all the steps without any problems, the most difficult thing to me was to reduce the netinstall Debian system i got, with xfce4 and a large browser, Vivaldi.

If someone from Debian could modify this excellent tool to copy a lot more ...

*This tool is lot better to understand that the MXLinux Snapshot.

From my new usb/live Debian, :D

EDIT:

Because the article has more than a year I tried again to see if there were made some changes ... this time i used an USB of 8GB to a system of 5.6GB and it works!.

NOTE: Just in case someone wants to know, today I copied a 13GB system into a USB of 60GB.

Greetings.

Debian 12 'bookworm'