Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Help! Debian setup hangs on HP laptop.

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Gato_iamaja

Help! Debian setup hangs on HP laptop.

#1 Post by Gato_iamaja »

Hey!

I'm new to Debian, and I'm drawn in by the stable description of it. I'm not new to Linux, but I have never tried Debian. I wanted to install it on my HP Laptop (Model No.: 14-BP003LA) and everything was going alright until it asked me for some Realtek Non-free Internet drivers. So I downloaded the firmware packages, uploaded them to a FAT32 formatted drive with the following directory:

./firmware/[packages here]

When I clicked on scan for removable media it hanged. Mouse was frozen so I waited a little bit, and then decided to power off the computer and tried an alternative Debian ISO with non free firmware installed right off the bat. Setup started nice and cool and then got to the Scanning Network Device part and hanged again. I installed Kubuntu temporarily and decided to use that to gain any useful info about the computer.

Here are the specifications of the laptop:

If you need me to purge some log file let me know. I don't know where the setup log files store.

Thanks!

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Help! Debian setup hangs on HP laptop.

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

You can get a Debian installer with non-free included.

Gato_iamaja

#3 Post by Gato_iamaja »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2021-10-25 16:31 You can get a Debian installer with non-free included.
I already tried this, as I stated in the post.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Gato_iamaja wrote: 2021-10-26 00:28
FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2021-10-25 16:31 You can get a Debian installer with non-free included.
As I read the post, the Debian installer asked you for non-free firmware, so it wasn't the Debian installer with non-free that you used.

Gato_iamaja

#5 Post by Gato_iamaja »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2021-10-26 06:05
Gato_iamaja wrote: 2021-10-26 00:28
As I read the post, the Debian installer asked you for non-free firmware, so it wasn't the Debian installer with non-free that you used.

Again, I already tried this, as I stated in the post. That's why I'm seeking for help now. I've read about disabling the network hardware on the BIOS but I don't know if I can install firmware after the Debian setup.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

OK, my bad, sorry.

I thought you were referring to the Kubuntu install there.

I believe there may be an issue with network configuration in the installer.

I installed using the live non-free installer recently, and although it had the firmware and could connect over wifi to the router, it stalled when trying to configure DHCP.

In the end I had to skip connecting to a network mirror to complete the install.

Gato_iamaja

#7 Post by Gato_iamaja »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2021-10-26 11:33 OK, my bad, sorry.

I thought you were referring to the Kubuntu install there.

I believe there may be an issue with network configuration in the installer.

I installed using the live non-free installer recently, and although it had the firmware and could connect over wifi to the router, it stalled when trying to configure DHCP.

In the end I had to skip connecting to a network mirror to complete the install.
Darn, well, I'm gonna see if I can figure something out, for now, it's still unsolved. Thanks for the info.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#8 Post by arochester »

1)
I wanted to install it on my HP Laptop (Model No.: 14-BP003LA) and everything was going alright until it asked me for some Realtek Non-free Internet drivers
You can proceed beyond the point it asks for firmware if you are connected to Ethernet by cable. Add contrib and non-free to your sources list, update and upgrade, add firmware-realtek and reboot. https://dev.to/juniordevforlife/how-i-s ... an-11-14ka

2) Did you use a USB stick or an external USB drive for the firmware? The latter could explain
When I clicked on scan for removable media it hanged.
A larger USB drive could take a long time to scan.
Official installation images do not include non-free firmware. The most common method to load such firmware is from some removable medium such as a USB stick. Alternatively, unofficial installation images containing non-free firmware can be found at https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/. To prepare a USB stick (or other medium like a hard drive partition), the firmware files or packages must be placed in either the root directory or a directory named /firmware of the file system on the medium. The recommended file system to use is FAT as that is most certain to be supported during the early stages of the installation.
Source - https://www.debian.org/releases/bullseye/amd64/ch06s04

Gato_iamaja

#9 Post by Gato_iamaja »

arochester wrote: 2021-10-26 17:21 1)
I wanted to install it on my HP Laptop (Model No.: 14-BP003LA) and everything was going alright until it asked me for some Realtek Non-free Internet drivers
You can proceed beyond the point it asks for firmware if you are connected to Ethernet by cable. Add contrib and non-free to your sources list, update and upgrade, add firmware-realtek and reboot. https://dev.to/juniordevforlife/how-i-s ... an-11-14ka

2) Did you use a USB stick or an external USB drive for the firmware? The latter could explain
Official installation images do not include non-free firmware. The most common method to load such firmware is from some removable medium such as a USB stick. Alternatively, unofficial installation images containing non-free firmware can be found at https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unof ... -firmware/. To prepare a USB stick (or other medium like a hard drive partition), the firmware files or packages must be placed in either the root directory or a directory named /firmware of the file system on the medium. The recommended file system to use is FAT as that is most certain to be supported during the early stages of the installation.
Hey! Sorry for the hold. I used an external USB drive (Size: 160GB) That could have explained the long hang. I'm gonna buy a second USB stick and use it to try. I'll write if I had any more problems. Thanks for your help!

Gato_iamaja

#10 Post by Gato_iamaja »

arochester wrote: 2021-10-26 17:21 1)

Sorry, I forgot to write that, I used a non-free unofficial release of the Debian ISO. And that was inside a USB stick, so, maybe it was not the big size doing the hang? I'm gonna' try installing it as mentioned in 1).