Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Will Debian Bullseye work with my Audio Interface?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
GPWR

Will Debian Bullseye work with my Audio Interface?

#1 Post by GPWR »

I have a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 1 interface, which is designed to work on Windows, notably, when accompanied by an ASIO driver specifically designed for it. It's a relatively small piece of software that launches on Windows start-up and runs in the background.

Whether it will work through Wine is pretty much the only issue that will allow me to decide whether I'm migrating from Windows 10 to Debian or not.

Has anyone ever managed to make a soundcard driver designed for Windows work fairly well on Debian? Does it require anything more than Wine?

Thank you in advance. Please note that I have no experience with Linux, but am eager to learn!

Cheers.

awesomemachine

Re: Will Debian Bullseye work with my Audio Interface?

#3 Post by awesomemachine »

This looks lkle the module you need, snd-usb-caiaq, but I don't know whether the latest Debian kernel includes it in the stock kernel. So, you might need to configure the kernel, include snd-usb-caiaq, location within kernel config as specified in the following link: https://www.kernelconfig.io/config_snd_usb_caiaq

Before you do anything,

$ /sbin/modinfo snd-usb-caiaq
If you get an answer, you have the module in your kernel. Then, just load it. See the end of the post. If not, read on.

To compile the debian kernel,
$ su
then enter root user's password
Hit enter
# apt-get install linux-source kernel-package ncurses5-dev build-essential automake autoconf gcc g++
If apt-get complains, Try:
# apt-cache search <package of complaint>
and substitute the name of the closest match in the above apt-get install command.
# cd /usr/src
Now I do kernel compiles the old way, except I don't make the linux link to the kernel sources.
# unxz linux-source*.xz
# tar xvf <name of expanded kernel sources>.tar
# cd <directory of expanded kernel sources>
# cp /boot/config-$(uname -r) .config
That's dot config with a period in front.
.config is your configuration file, which is just a copy of the configuration file for the running system.
# make oldconfig
You can hold the enter key until you get to the bottom of oldconfig.
# make menuconfig
This is the kernel configuration user interface.
Refer to the above link for the location of the module for your sound interface. Enable it as a module (type m).
Then, save the configuration and exit the configuration program.

Open .config that you copied earler from /boot
# nano .config
Search for CONFIG_SYSTEM_TRUSTED_KEYS and set the value to CONFIG_SYSTEM_TRUSTED_KEYS=""
Save .config.
# make-kpkg -j4
After make-kpkg completes, you'll have some new .deb files. Install them with
# dpkg -i ../*.deb
Reboot, and the new kernel should load.
$ lsmod | grep caiaq
Will tell you if the module is loaded
If it's not
su
Root's password
# modprobe snd-usb-caiaq
exit
There are numerous ways to to make the module load permanent and automatic. You can probably easily fivure it out with google.

Welcome to Debian, personal computing the way it was always meant to be!
What was truth is truth now, and it always will be truth! There is one truth! Everything else is wrong!

GPWR

Re: Will Debian Bullseye work with my Audio Interface?

#4 Post by GPWR »

awesomemachine wrote: 2022-01-01 03:26 This looks lkle the module you need, snd-usb-caiaq...
Greetings. Thank you so much for your detailed response. I found out that I do have that module installed, thanks to your instructions.

Excuse me for not replying earlier; I found out I wasn't subscribed to the topic.

I'll mess around with it and see whether it works. If ever I have further issues that I can't solve using a search engine, I'll post them here.

Thank you so much again for your help. It's very much appreciated!

God bless you.