Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

My friend can't install Steam on Bullseye (missing libc.so.6)

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
kineticcrusher

My friend can't install Steam on Bullseye (missing libc.so.6)

#1 Post by kineticcrusher »

Go easy on me if possible; I've never used Linux before and neither has my friend, so we're kinda just aimlessly going around the Internet searching for solutions to our problem. For reference, my friend is using a Chromebook that has Linux enabled.

At first, we tried launching Steam after downloading the .deb file found on https://beebom.com/how-install-play-ste ... hromebook/, but it said she was missing libc.so.6. We dug around and found out we needed to install some 32-bit libraries, so we tried to do that, and it gave the same error. I then told her to uninstall Steam (which it said wasn't on the system, so we just continued on as normal) and we tried installing it using the whole sudo apt install steam process, including modifying the sources list to include contrib non-free, and it's still returning the exact same error.

Forgive me if I haven't provided enough information, as this whole process is very confusing to me. If anything more is needed, I should be able to provide it, since we've done this whole thing through texting and I have everything we've tried written down.
Last edited by kineticcrusher on 2022-01-02 00:56, edited 1 time in total.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: My friend can't install Steam on Bullseye (missing libc.so.6)

#2 Post by cds60601 »

Are you following this link: https://wiki.debian.org/Steam
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

kineticcrusher

#3 Post by kineticcrusher »

cds60601 wrote: 2022-01-02 00:52 Are you following this link: https://wiki.debian.org/Steam
Whoops, forgot to include the link we were working from. I updated the post to show where we got the .deb file and where we followed the instructions from at first.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by cds60601 »

I think you would be better served by following the link I posted. You'll notice that there are packages in the Deb repos that should ensure no issues.
When installing debs from other sources, you run the high risk of breakage.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Stormy1138

#5 Post by Stormy1138 »

I followed the direction on this site
https://linuxhint.com/install-steam-on-debian/
I got the same error.
I uninstalled steam and turned off linux environment and rebooted chromebook.

Started from scratch on this site:
https://wiki.debian.org/Steam

I still get the same error. (missing libc.so.6)

using HP chromebook
kernel: linux 5.4.16....
architecture: arm 64

I put a ticket in on Steam under apps with the request that they send my issue to the correct department.

Any suggestions on next steps?
Thanks in advance!

mm3100

#6 Post by mm3100 »

Checking on my system with working steam, can you check if you have following packages installed?

Code: Select all

libc6-amd64-cross
libc6-dev
libc6-i386-amd64-cross
libc6-i386-cross
libc6-i386
libc6
libc6:i386

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

For reference, my friend is using a Chromebook that has Linux enabled.
I would expect that this is the problem.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

NorthEast

#8 Post by NorthEast »

libc.so.6 belongs to the package libc6. If one doesn't have libc6 on the system, it's hard to imagine it being a running linux system. From the package description, libc6:
Contains the standard libraries that are used by nearly all programs on the system.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by canci »

It's a Chromebook that probably only runs Linux in a sandboxed environment, so who knows how Google changed the library locations. Hard to know that actually. I sort of doubt that any of us here running Debian on bare metal can even help without having the same device.

What's probably more important: This Chromebook is an ARM-based device, right? Doesn't Steam expect an x86-based machine (i.e. something with an Intel or AMD processor) to run properly? Maybe libc6 compiled for ARM just won't work with Steam? Or am I wrong here?
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

Stormy1138

#10 Post by Stormy1138 »

I messaged Steam weeks ago and got this reply:

I apologize for the delay.
Steam for Linux is currently only supported on the latest version of 64-bit Ubuntu LTS with Unity, Gnome, or KDE desktops.

If you are running another distribution of Linux such as Debian, we will not be able to provide support. We recommend you install the latest version of 64-bit Ubuntu for the best Steam experience on Linux.

If you wish to attempt to run Steam on a different distribution or version, it's best that you use Github to discuss them with our developers and other Linux users.

Now I just have to figure out if I need to return the chromebook since I bought it for my son to use steam.