Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Dual boot ubuntu and debian

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
andredahl

Dual boot ubuntu and debian

#1 Post by andredahl »

I am having an ubuntu system on a pc, but would in addition install a debian os for dual boot. The ubuntu system is using the complete HD with 500G.

I tried to install debian 11.2.0 -amd64-dvd-1.iso first, but it failed due to a partition issue which I could not solve. Tested ubuntu and it went straight in.

How can I install debian 11, splt the current 500Gpartition in 2, install the debian and obtain a dual boot start up of the pc ?

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Dual boot ubuntu and debian

#2 Post by canci »

Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

kedaha

#3 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
I'd just like to comment, if I may, that dual-booting two systems is a bit of a pain because, while you can access the file system of Debian when using Ubuntu, you can't run its programs and vice versa. Having to reboot to fire up another system is annoying so best to have only one system to avoid fluttering from bough to bough. Better in my view would be to run the other distro in virtualbox or better still, in qemu and avoid messing around with disk partitioning, grub & suchlike.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

andredahl

#4 Post by andredahl »

Thanks. The reason for this is that I do have a pc where I once upon a time managed to install both Debian and Ubuntu. It still works very well and on that pc the Debian is in fact more stable than the Ubuntu OS.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by p.H »

andredahl wrote: 2022-01-03 19:11 How can I install debian 11, splt the current 500Gpartition in 2, install the debian and obtain a dual boot start up of the pc ?
Start the Debian installer, select manual partitioning, reduce Ubuntu's partition, and use LVM for Debian. This way when you are fed up with Ubuntu and want to get rid of it, you can easily reallocate all the disk space to Debian.

andredahl

#6 Post by andredahl »

I changed, that when I did an complete installation of Debian using the complete HD. Got the same problems with Debian as mentioned in other topic, However when I installed the Ubuntu it more or less by it self installed the OS beside the Debian and automaticly partitioned the the HD in half for each OS. Dual boot works fine.. .

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#7 Post by cds60601 »

Safest and easiest way to do this:

Install a second drive (if possible)
a. Either internally
b. Externally (such as a USB drive or a dive that is in an enclosure)
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

andredahl

#8 Post by andredahl »

Thanks, bat as far as I can see now is that the dual boot works at the moment.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#9 Post by cds60601 »

I wanted something of the same. On a system that I run Sid on, I used an NVME drive that I added to an enclosure for external use. Installed Arch w/o Grub. os-prober found the new install but running grup-update never applied it. I found out that by adding one line to my Sid grub, fixed the issue.
/etc/default/grub:
GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

Keep in mind, my install had Sid installed first. Arch was installed much later on. Dual booting was not intended at the time of install.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

andredahl

#10 Post by andredahl »

Thanks, but what you wrote above look to much advanced for me :-(

kiwigi

#11 Post by kiwigi »

andredahl wrote: 2022-01-05 18:35 Thanks, bat as far as I can see now is that the dual boot works at the moment.
Maybe this could help: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=151024

clementishutin

#12 Post by clementishutin »

Did you tried the forum link shared above? did it work?